PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
So I've been going to get my master's degree and our university which has always had a large porch with benches dedicated to smokers has finally decided to elminate smoking completely outdoors by saying that we could face disciplinary action for even smoking in the parking lots. Gotta love it, makes me glad that I am one class from being done, even though in the two years I have been going there, I must have smoked 3 times there (although I often start a cigar in the lot for the drive home). I launched a complaint on their survey, don't think it will do any good, but worth a shot for future students.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
That blows! What campus? Im not a student, i'll make sure to swing by and have a smoke lol

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Banning smoking outdoors in Delaware ? I thought the fumes from the Dupont plant was an air purifier. :crazy:

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
That's nuts, but not surprising. If I lived near by I'd fire up a huge bowl there for u, but I don't. That's terrible.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Times have changed for sure. When I was in college, the professor smoked right in the classroom.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Our campus has a tobacco ban, but it's relaxed. For example, even though the campus is posted no tobacco, a professor in my building dips in his office - no one says anything. Smoking is allowed in the parking lot for students. We have no disciplinary action if someone violates the no tobacco rule. Only a hand full of faculty would be so anal as to try to enforce it...i.e. the liberal art faculty at my college. Our president resisted the ban for a long time because his father was a cigar man. Really our ban consists of anti-tobacco signs and elimination of ashtrays; it's politics. Shhh...my office is full of pipe tobacco.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
My Alma mater is in the process of enacting a ban. I plan on writing the president, whom I have had the chance to meet and speak with on a number of occasions.
I just want to let him know, not a dime of my money that I earn as an alum will ever go near that institution if such a policy is enacted. I am quit excited to contribute when I have the means... but never if a smoking ban, which tramples on individual rights, is put in place.

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Hey Eric... I am in wilmington, de... just got back from that pipe tobacco store on concord pike... got a big can of ratrays red rapparee and some frog morton....
even ivy league schools have clubs that welcome pipes and cigars... in particular, thinking of morey's in new haven...

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Well, I know UNLV here in Las Vegas doesn't have a smoking ban. Ofcourse there's no smoking in the buildings, but the sidewalks are littered with cigarette butts and there aren't any no smoking signs. Didn't notice any pipe smokers there though. The two weeks I was back in town laid off I went and sat in on my fiance's classes.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
They did that to all of Tennessee's Public Universities. Very silly yet it isn't enforced to harshly.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Eric - is that ban the reason Obama just declared the state of Delaware a Disaster Area?
Missed you at Morley's this week. We had 2 new members show - Robert from NJ drove 1 hr 45 min each way to get to us.
hp

les

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I swear on my Mother's life I am going there someday :) My life seems to always fall apart when a meeting time comes, not like it is held together by much anyway.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I dream of being able to smoke inside one day, especially on college campus's where I think pipes feel quite at home.

Aug 14, 2012
Sounds like high school, where we used to have to smoke behind the chemistry lab. What happened to the "free country" concept. That phrase used to come up a lot when I was young. Haven't heard it in recent years at all. The time is coming when people, especially older people, will be confined to concentration camps. Some political party will work out a justification for it being "for our own good." Watch out Americans, you are giving away the franchise when you let them pull this stuff! I lit a smoke in the dentist's office once to make that point. It was very funny to watch them running around and clucking. If I could have, I would have ridden a motorcycle through the office, or let loose some wild animals.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I lit a smoke in the dentist's office once to make that point. It was very funny to watch them running around and clucking. If I could have, I would have ridden a motorcycle through the office, or let loose some wild animals.
You're a bad, bad man, Foggy! :worship:

smokedragon

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2013
I'm a grad student at Florida State, and luckily we still have smoking allowed. We do have designated areas, but they aren't remote like one might think. Lot of cigarette smokers for sure, but I seem to be the only one outside with a pipe. Here's hoping it remains the same for this last year so I can keep enjoying it while on campus.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Gotta love Missouri; castle law is the best! My vehicle is an extension of my home and I can do whatever I like in it. Unless of course that act is illegal and I am obviously in plain sight and therefore in trouble. :wink: And smoking is legal so screw you UMSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.