PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Hey guys, how many of you actively train/compete in any kind of sport (hitting the gym up counts)? I am curious of how many pipe buddies remain physically active.
I train jiu-jitsu and judo and compete every other month. Judo black belt and jiu jitsu blue. Smoke about 2 bowls a day, never any ill effects.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I run/jog approximately 20 miles each week, plus I cycle to work most days.

I enjoy my pipe three or four days a week.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I only ride for fun now and not nearly as often as I should but I used to race mountain bikes and ride my bike to work (23 km each way) almost every day. :puffy:

cpjeffrey11

Might Stick Around
Feb 24, 2015
I go to the gym 4 times a week. I have never had my smoking affect my performance. That said, I only smoke 3-4 bowls a week.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Thanks jjb. Cycling used to be a very big part of my daily life as well as my wife's. Hopefully now that the kids have grown I will be able to get back on the bike more often? Lord knows I could benefit from shedding a few pounds. :puffy:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, pipesmoking just isn't as deleterious to health or athleticism as cigarettes are. Since very few pipers inhale, the systemic damage is far less than cigarettes. Even though I inhale cigarettes pretty regularly, I just don't with a pipe. For me, it's simply not part of the process. Back in the day, a lot of athletes used (and advertised for) chewing tobacco, cigars, and pipes. I can't see them remaining competitive after a few years of inhaling cancer sticks, though!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I usually play softball 3x's a week in a senior league. I've taken the summer off from that because I can't handle the heat and humidity here in FL during the summer, outside. I originate from New England and although I've lived in the Sunshine State since '77, I've never acclimated to summer here. It's just brutal. I'll be back on the field, all things being the same or better, in the fall/winter season.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I used to do some bike racing and rode 250 miles a week. I still ride my bike 5 days a week- usually 18-19 mph average...and only smoke a pipe one day a week...Any more than that, I can tell a difference- tight chest and can't hold the speed. I'm not as worried about the occasional pipe as the really nasty byproducts I get from making pipes like ebonite dust, buffing compounds, and glass dust from the abrasive blaster.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Smoking!:
th

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've smoked beef, pork, salmon, chicken along with the usual tobacco products. How does one smoke athletes? Alder? Oak? Hickory? Can they be "cold smoked?"
What's best "free range" or, like the above "corn fed" on the lot?

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I bet it is the "other" compounds that are getting to you, Zack. I am retired. Some once or twice a week. Ride road bike 40 to 90 miles a week.
No problems.
:crazy:

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I normally walk to the washroom about ten times a day. Well.... sometimes I have to run.

Other than that, I once tried to smoke an athlete but I couldn't keep her lit.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
As we discussed before in a previous thread, i have been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for approximately 6 years (purple belt) and Muay Thai for approximately 5 (certified assistant instructor) as well as others such as boxing, wrestling, submission wrestling, mixed martial arts, Jeet Kun Do and of course, Judo, which is sort of mixed in with BJJ on the takedown side. I have played basketball my entire life. I was heavy into weightlifting of all kinds, including olympic lifting and was a personal trainer for a while (1-2 years) while working in a large chain type gym (Lifetime Fitness) for 4 or 5 years during/after college. I've surfed for around 20 years off and on and moved to San Diego for 2 years after college to pretty much do that and traveled on a surf trip to Nicaragua back in 2010. Also done some wakeboarding and skateboarding (longboard) as well as bmx when i was a kid. I've always led an active lifestyle and been very physically active. I currently teach/train in the martial arts 4-5 days a week as well as doing private lessons fairly often. Most of my friends still find it interesting that i smoke pipes and cigars, considering my physically demanding past times, but i don't find that they affect my performance to any real noticeable level.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
Thanks everyone keep them coming. @layingpipe, I actually started this thread with you in mind. Last time we talked about this we where in the middle of a different thread and we got the good ole SHIFT called out on us haha. I train jiu-jitsu and judo 5 days a week, compete regularly (with success), and weightlift as well. Never had a ill effect while smoking a few bowls a day. Like others have said, no inhale. The only perfomance de-enhancing would probably be if i tried to compete on an empty stomach after a bowl of nightcap haha.
My latest adventure is training for the local highland games here in Muskegon!

nhpro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hi jiujitsu,

tae kwon do, cycling, and kayaking, along with the occasional hike along the Appalachian trail during the summer.

I also play golf once a week.
My wife keeps up with me too!
smoking my pipe 2-3 times a week, priceless........

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm a chain pipe smoker and the only exercise I get is loading my pipe and bending my elbow to smoke it. Plenty of yard work around my house so I guess that can be considered exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.