PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
I love smoking my pipe, and enjoy a good cigar.

But I have NEVER liked cigarettes. They just taste disgusting to me.

What struck me are some advantages smoking a pipe has over cigarettes:
(1) A pipe bowl is a much tastier, lasts longer, and is sweeter smoke than a cigarette
(2) Smoking a pipe is much cheaper than smoking cigarettes. I can make my pipe tobacco last quite awhile. The cost of a pack of cigarettes is insanely high
(3)The lingering pipe smell can be nice- but reeking of cigarettes can be pretty nasty

Pipe smoke smells much nicer than cigarette smoke
No offense to cigarette smokers, but I think a good pipe stands head an shoulders over cigarettes. What do you think?
A related debate might be what is better- a good pipe or a good cigar?

THAT might be an even match

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I love all forms of tobacco, but enjoy a pipe or cigar the most. Cigarettes give good nic fit in the morning. This past week I had a horrible stomach virus and pipe tobacco just made me queasy, I opted for cigarettes. Cigars are wonderful but hate finding a non windy day so it won't canoe. Just my view though.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Quit cigarettes when they hit half a buck a pack. That's quite some time ago. Don't miss them at all. On very rare occasions I enjoy a cigar.

simpledesign

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2011
I'm actually allergic to the chemicals they put in the cigarettes to made them flame retardant.....so it's cigars or pipes....

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
At this point I am still a cigarette smoker who enjoys pipes. I do agree with your assessment of the relative superiority of the pipe over the cigarette. For many of us, the cigarette is still our primary smoke due to habit/addiction/convenience.
I have smoked pipes off and on for many years, but just in the past couple of years have I started smoking them more and cigarettes less. Eventually I hope to phase out the cigarettes entirely, but it can be very difficult. These stupid smoking bans actually make that harder because it is much easier to stand outside for 5 minutes smoking a cigarette than 45 minutes smoking a pipe.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I don't smoke for the nicotine or the chemical addiction to tobacco. I smoke because I like the process, the sensory enjoyment. Cigarettes provide no sensory enjoyment to me at all. Pipe and maybe the occasional deep dark maduro cigar for me.

puffintuff

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2010
Those are all good points you make, titanicexplorer. I still smoke a few cigs a day especially when I'm out and about. At home I prefer the pipe.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Pipetrucker, I was in the same situation as you.

I just quit cigarettes two days ago, and it was amazingly easy.

Started taking Chantix last monday, by friday I decided to try dropping the cigs. No Problem. Just stopped. Chantix is amazing, though it has its side effects.

I believe its on DOT's banned substance list, so no driving while taking the stuff.

Since I got out of a truck two weeks ago, and not getting back in one for at least a couple more weeks, no problem for me.

MUCH happier just smoking pipes!

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Used to partake in cigs, but after kicking them (kicking and screaming), a couple years ago I'll never go back to those little filter-tipped devils.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Never had a cigarette. Started with the pipe and included cigars a few years later. I'd say I have 3-4 cigars a day and 4 pipes a day. Too much time on my hands, I guess.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Lonestar; you're quite correct that Chantix is banned for commercial drivers due to the side effects. You may want to check to find out how long you have to be off of it before you are medically qualified to go back to driving.

toyman01

Lurker
Apr 2, 2011
I've been a cigarette smoker for almost 30 years. I'm kicking them now. I've gone from 2.5 packs a day to 2.5 days a pack. The pipe fills the need for the art of the smoke so much better than a cigarette. I'm averaging 4-5 bowls a day. From sweet and mellow to in your face bold, whatever the mood, just grab the appropriate jar.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
This week will make it a month since I stopped smoking cigarettes. I'd just had it up my eyeballs with them and the things they were doing to my lungs. I'm sure there was a time when they had just as much flavour and enjoyment as a good cigar and the brand actually made a difference but now they're just terrible. I'm glad to be off of them and have smoking as a hobby instead of an addiction.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
with the benzene, formaldahyde, acetone, Hydrogen cyanide, and all the other 492 chemicals in cigs...I've never smoked one as I can't stand the stench of them. Gives me an instant headache to be around them. :evil:

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Cigs have one advantage: They are easy when you are on the go or don't have a lot of time and need a quick fix.
However, I do enjoy my pipes a lot more.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I still smoke cigs at work and when i need a quick nic fix,it's hard to work in the masonry field with a pipe stuck in your mouth.Would i like to quit cigs yes someday when i'm ready to,being off till the work picks up i'm enjoying my pipes allday everyday.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
For those who still smoke cigarettes, I cannot recommend rolling your own highly enough. There is only one brand to roll, Daughters & Ryan. Its the company of Mark Ryan (The guy who saved Perique tobacco).

He wanted to make a cigarette like the old smokes, WWII style Lucky Strikes Camels and Pall Malls. 100% real tobacco, only flavors added.

You will find the blends under Daughters and Ryan or 2 Daughters brand.

Throw a bag of Two Timer Gold on your next tobacco order, and grab some Zen or Ramback filter tubes at your b&m. A top of the line Top-O-Matic injector will cost you about $30 and last a lifetime.

So you have $60 invested in your first two cartons of (real) smokes, $30 a carton.

Once you've got your injector, it will cost you $15 a carton, $1.50 a pack to roll better cigarettes than you've ever smoked, without 1,000 chemicals added to it.

Not saying I want to keep smoking cigarettes, but if you're going to, why not smoke the best, for a fourth of the price ?

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Pipes only, here. I've never really been interested in cigars or cigarettes, and right or wrong I believe that cigarettes are much harder on your health in general and lungs in particular.
Cigarettes' popularity is definitely based on convenience and likely to stay that way, as society makes it harder and harder to smoke. No smoking in places of business, restaurants or pubs, so if you want to, you have to go outside. Here in Canada, that means pretty nasty conditions for 5-6 months of the year. Not conducive for enjoying a bowl for 30-40 minutes. Duck outside for five minutes of isolation, huddling against the cold or rain, and then hurry back inside.
Simon

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
CG, that is my reasoning for giving up cigarettes.

Even though I'm not smoking all of the garbage found in a Marlboro, I'm concerned over my lungs in the long run.

What I've figured out is, it sucks to get old.

And it sucks a lot more if you cant breathe!

Status
Not open for further replies.