PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
There have been many posts on here about how the side effects of pipe smoking health wise are no where near as bad as cigs. This may seem obvious to some, but if we only smoke a few bowls a week, do we still qualify as a "smoker" when filling out insurance forms? I assume this would be more for an indication for higher health risks as a cig smoker.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Any smoking habit increases the premium. When I retired I kept the insurance policy from my company so I wouldn't be forced to lie. Even at that my health insurance premium is $1,820/month. Its a good plan but my wife has COPD and no one would take her on so that's how the dice rolled for us.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My insurance company defines a smoker as anyone that has used tobacco in any form over the last 12 months.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I once had a blood test and was told that nicotine was detected in my system.I've had many blood tests over the years.This was the only time nicotine was mentioned.I don't know if this really can be done or not.If it can be though insurance companies can find out wheather or not a person smokes.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Most hospitals in my area wont hire smokers and actively test for it. My dads fiancee was applying for a nursing job at erlanger hospital down here and they told her that they loved her qualifications and that the job was hers but only if she gave up smoking. She told em to bugger off. I can understand the no smoking on the property but what i do in my time is my business.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I'm a firm believer in the old rule....

Shoot, Shovel and Shut up....

If you can read between the lines, I'm sure you understand.... :clap:

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
Lol good one john. I wish employers would hire individuals willing to preform certain tasks. Personal habits are just that. It's like refusing to hire a man cause he enjoys purple boxers. It's not like a smoker will miss work cause he smoked too much Penzance last night and couldn't drive.

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
IMHO, a non-inhaling pipe-smoker is NOT a smoker. There is no irrefutable evidence that pipe smokers cost ins. companies any more than non-smokers. That would be my attitude in applying for insurance. Chewing, inhaling anything, and cigarette smoking are different, but a pipe-smoker's health is by-and-large unaffected by his/her smoking enjoyment.
I read a story the other day about the state of NC state employee health coverage. The legislature dropped the distinction between smokers and non-smokers because it was too difficult to enforce and maintain.
Seems to me a non-smoking bartender or waitress working in a smoking-allowed bar (or even a non-smoking customer) would be much more affected by nicotene, etc., than a regular pipe-smoker. When applying for health insurance, the bartender would answer truthfully that he/she does not "use tobacco in any form."

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe they should hike up the premiums on those who don't smoke pipes since they tend to die earlier from heart failure due to stress and aren't even around to pay the premiums as long as us pipe smokers.

Status
Not open for further replies.