PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
It's that time of year my friends! Fill up your fire boxes and start smokin!!
I smoked some brisky, pork ribs, lollipop chicken legs (from the wing) wrapped in bacon, and some ABT's (atomic buffalo turd's).
Bon appetit!
I start with a whole untrimmed brisket. I trim the fat down to a 1/8"-1/4" thickness. I always cook my briskets fat side down, this protects the bottom from heat and hence from drying it out. I cut up the fat I trimmed off and place it over the brisket (which is meat side up)in a pan with holes. Over the first 6 hours that fat renders out and drips onto the meat below. I slather the brisky in yellow mustard and coat heavily with "The Slabs".

All that's left and fat is rendured!

While the brisky is doin it's thing I start work on the Lollipop Legs

And ABT's which I make with Monterey jack, cream cheese and a habanero all put in food processor and whipped smooth. Fold into that, chopped grilled pineapple. Cut the jalapenos in half and de-seed, fill with turd and wrap in thick sliced bacon.

Let's eat!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks guys. It was delicious. I should have taken some pics of that rib meat pulling from the bone to show the tenderness. The brisky was just right as well!
What kind of smoker do you use?
I have a Klose Deluxe Grill Chef Smoker. I love it. Large firebox with 1/2" steel. Smokes like a dream. Hold's heat steady forever. And I love that I can grill a lot of food with it as well, you can fill the tray with charcoal and that tray is moveable up or down, closer or further from your food. http://www.bbqpits.com/backyard_smokers/20x42_grillchef.htm

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Are there two different toothpicked bites? What are lollipop legs? I think I see two different bacon wrapped succulents. One looks like shrimp? The other is the cheese pineapple hot pepper creation.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
Nice!
I smoked two whole chickens yesterday myself.
Good eat'n!

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Looks mouth watering, Monty! I like to start with a whole untrimmed brisket around 13# but for the last couple of yrs I have had a hard time finding anything over 10-11#. The briskets are all smaller than what I like.
I like to do pork shoulders around 10# with the bone in. When they're done & you take them out of the smoker & take a pair of pliers, grab the end of the bone & wiggle it just a little bit & pull the bone out clean then you know you're in for some good eatin!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks guys!
Are there two different toothpicked bites? What are lollipop legs?
Yes, the ABT are half a Jalepeno stuffed with the cheesy stuff and wrapped in bacon. The others are Lollipop legs. The drumstick part of a chicken wing, you take that and put some seasoning on it and wrap a piece of bacon around the top. That was my first go at those. I wasn't that impressed. The ABT's are much better! Nothing with shrimp there.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Looks mouth watering good!!
I have a Bradley Smoker that I use year round to make all kinds of smoked goodness. I will often bring it camping and make up bite sized smoked goodies for our friends to enjoy. I would have bet almost anything that I was the only one on this forum familiar with ABTs!! They are absolutely delicious and the filling variations are limited only by ones culinary imagination. YUMMY!! :puffy:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I just ate two bologna sandwiches, sitting at my desk getting finals ready for this week.
I think you are a cruel, cruel man...
No, seriously, that looks wonderful!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Vegetarian? We had a herd of those when I was young. :mrgreen:
Those ribs look really delish!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Thanks again guys!
Do you smoke by time, or do you test temps as well
Good question. As a rule I am trying to get to a certain temp with the Brisky, the ribs I can tell by how they behave and how long they have been smoking... there's not much to take a temp of there. But I pretty much know how long it will take to get to the temp I want for the brisky. Assuming I don't plateau for an eternity. I use a Thermapen to take my temp nowadays. It's instantaneous!
Are there any vegetarians around here?
hahaa! Well maybe, but they don't eat at my table! I did have baked beans and cole slaw with all that meat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.