PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 6, 2019
Hello everyone, pipe smoker since this September and I discovered a world that I knew extremely little about before. Hoping to find out even more about the amazing hobby of true smoking (but still have a few Marlboro Reds sometimes)

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome. You are in a good place if you are taking up the pipe in Italy. A world of tradition and fantastic carvers is just a short trip away for you compared to most of us.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I'm jealous of the pipe shops you have access to in Italia. Welcome to the land of tobacco hoarders.

Jan 6, 2019
Thanks everyone!
@mityahicks Yes, it sure is a blessing for what concerns pipes themselves as we have some of the most worldwide remarkable makers and brands right in the motherland, but for what concerns tobacco trust me, it's nothing to be envious about.

Taxes on tobacco products here almost double the price (sometimes even triple) that you would find, say, in the USA. We also have a much more limited access to varieties of blends since many manifacturers don't want to import here on a large scale for, you guessed it, taxes.

Also doesn't help the fact that you can't have tobacco shipped in the country from online shops as it's illegal. I've heard the fine for every gram of tobacco ranges up to 5€ a gram; also, there are limits on the quantity of tobacco you can carry in the country.
Say for example you have a friend that travels around and you ask him to buy a few tins of Dunhill Flake (unfortunately never had the chance to smoke it since it was never available here and now Dunhill interrupted production). Well the most a person can carry inside the country is about 250 grams, so you cannot ask for more than about 5 tins or a box of bulk and that is IF you are lucky to have such friend.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
That's too bad with the government overreach, we are on our way there too. I'm buying up what I can now while it is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.