PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
A pipe I grabbed recently that I really like is this bent pot by Smio Satou.
The pipe has great grain and also has a very mesmerizing piece of Tsuishu on the shank which I find truly mesmerizing. I understand that Tshuishu is Japanese laquer work and is very time-consuming to produce, but I find it absolutely hypnotic on this piece.
zGbEMB0.jpg

aKkBuwO.jpg

EqVK5fm.jpg

BWXcBJm.jpg

EOlioRd.jpg

6zhlLR8.jpg

Reactions: Ben.R.C

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Peck, that is one of the most spectacular pipes I've ever seen -- either on the Internetz or in person. I'm literally at a loss for words on this one.
Congrats.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love the look of that pipe, Peck.
You know I'm not the biggest Dublin fan, but that one has a whole lot of grain, stain, and just solid design going on.
What are the measurements? It looks like it might be a short and stout pipe, but I can't tell.
-- Pat

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The Japanese Tsuishu is amazing... and from what I've read of the process incredibly time consuming...taking weeks to complete the layering
Some or the other lacquers like Urushi create poison ivy-like reactions in the people working with them...
(and...drumroll- this makes my 1000 post...)

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I've always enjoyed looking at Smio's work. The Tsuishu(god bless you!) is a pretty cool, flashback inducing stem inlay. These two are very fine additions to your collection.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, as usual, the Japanese flirt with death to create art, and the rainbow stuff is amazing, but that piece of wood and how he worked it out is mind blowing. birdseye all across all the top and bottom surfaces and swooping flame grain on both sides melding into the straight yet flaming grained bowl...wall thickness...

Congrats on your 1k, I think you picked a nice thread for it!

oh, yeah, how's she smoke? :puffpipe:

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Nice pipe Peck. Smio Satou is one of the all time greats! And does the best finish in the business!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
+1 jon11
Here some info on how Smio Satou uses urushi and the process of tsuishu.
Urushi lacquering, traditionally used to create a beautiful, durable finish for dinnerware and household goods, has been done in Japan since at least the eighth century AD. Partly because achieving the right sort of hard high gloss finish is a painstaking process and partly because, before it dries, the wet urushi can cause serious skin irritation akin to that of poison ivy, its practice is limited to experienced skilled craftsmen, making the work both rare and expensive. Traditionally, for household goods, colored lacquers are used in two or three thin coats, sometimes followed by a clear coat, depending on the look desired.
Satou, however, uses ten coats to achieve his finish. Each coat requires a two day period of curing in a humid cabinet (kept at 70-75% humidity and 25°C, or around 78°F), followed by time at room temperature and lower humidity to settle. Accordingly, from start to finish, it takes Satou about a month to make a pipe. Of course, he works in batches, so he isn't just making a pipe a month, but the amount of time and the number of processes required for each pipe is staggering, and does limit his production to between thirty and fifty pipes per year over the past ten years. Indeed, perhaps only one of those years saw close to fifty pipes.
You can read the whole article by Sykes Wilford here.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I can see why folks would say it's a pot. Who am I to argue with the folks at SP? They're the experts and have actually held the pipe. The sides of the bowl come down from the rim at a straight enough angle and the shank/bowl interplay is pretty straight... Do I'd buy "pot" as a shape.
-- Pat

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That is a very handsome pipe indeed! It is a real beauty from every angle....very nice indeed. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, it is about damn time you grabbed one of those beauties. I remember about a year ago we were talking about the stem application that Satou was using. Have you been hunting one of these for that long or was it a spur of the moment purchase? I think it is the coolest stem application on the market. The shape and grain are also spectacular, I would call the shape a dublin/pot hybrid. You definitely have to smoke it and let us know what you think. Congrats on a great addition to your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.