PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Hmm. Well. A general inquiry really.
Have any of you guys noticed whether or not your smaller pipes tend to "go sour" more quickly than larger ones?
Say what you will about technique. In my opinion, smoking a pipe isn't that hard, and if you've been doing it regularly for any extended period of time, you can probably tell the difference between scorching the shit out of your tobacco by huffing and puffing, and pulling on it like its a 120 lb. Rottweiler who is utterly adamant about NOT getting in the van to go to the vet, and simply having smoked too many bowls.
Although no expert, it seems logical to assume that the "sour pipe", attains said sourdom, through the briars acquisition of moisture, to the point where it no longer retains said moisture efficiently, and thus begins to evaporate into the smoke (?)
Wouldn't it then follow, that the smaller pipe is unable to hold as much moisture as it's bigger brother?
I don't know. Like I said... some general meanderings, thoughts, and wonderings about. I have a couple pipes in particular that seem to only be good for a couple smokes a day, and then need a day or two of rest, while the other larger pipes can get on just fine with 3 - 4.5, before they're ready to retire for a stint. That's the correlation I've come up with, anyway.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
There might be something to this theory. I smoke mostly small pipes, but never smoke them more than twice in one day, and will always give them at least 3 day rest. So I cannot help answer your query unfortunately. That being said, I would think the chamber dimensions would have more of an effect than the size of the pipe. If you have a large pipe with a small chamber, I would assume it would 'sour' quicker with constant use than the same pipe with a larger chamber.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
The majority of my pipes are medium or small ... I've had no difficulty with them, but I DO keep them clean and I DO rest them in between smokes ...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Resting a pipe, to dry out moisture, helps prevent souring. Size isn't a main factor, though shape

might be a factor. Clenching, where saliva ads to the moisture created by burning tobacco and releasing

moisture, likely adds to souring. Cleaning a pipe after every smoke is essential.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Agreed with resting/cleaning between smokes. My regular briars get a bit icky after 4/5 bowls smoked if not cleaned, I find with small pipes, I manage barely a bowl. And I'm not even a wet smoker. Fluffier the better cleaners too. If you want it smokable quickly though, stick your clean pipe in a ziploc bag with a slice of orange peel, in the fridge with a pint of tap water. When the waters a refreshingly cool temperature, take your pipe out. I find this freshens pipes. It won't rid a ghost, but it'll do until you can rest it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.