PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I can smoke a medium bowl with 1 or 2 relight; a large bowl with 2 to 3 relights; and a small pipe with 7 or 8 relights. Why the hell is that? Before I thought it's because I didn't tamp enough to keep the fire going, but even if I do tamp like every few minutes, the fire still go out.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
How do the diameters compare? Less surface area for combustion requires a slight change to cadence to keep a similar burn temp to a wider bowl.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Could be myriad of causes for the relights, packing, tempo, tobacco, tamping. I'd start with packing the pipe. Pay careful attention at first, checking the draw and the spring of each level or tier. Is the tobacco nested with a bit of spring. I'm one of those who believes blends are sold ready to smoke. Perhaps it's the blends I smoke. Too we will smolder unevenly. When I pack I gently twist my finger a bit to nestle the blend with plenty of air space. Tight enough to feel the draw, light enough to provide for ignition.
During the smoke, if the need for tamping arises, I spin the tamper, my finger, a bit as I press gently. My personal belief is "nesting" the tobacco creates a better burn as opposed to just pressing the load down. Are you tamping the oxygen out. Tamping too tight makes it hard to keep ignition. I smoke pretty much unconsciously now. Years ago I had to pay attention so to keep the oxygen available for combustion.
To find the answer(s) you are going to have to "parse" the experience for a while. Start with the obvious, too much and too hard a tamp. Perhaps you're depriving the burn of oxygen. Then work logically though the experience and see where you might be failing to provide what a burn needs, oxygen, combustible material and heat. Using the finger to tamp means a light twisting tough with the finger. Too much pressure, too much time pressing and even the calluses won't protect my finger tips from a bit of pain.
It's easy, just takes a bit of attention and logic.

I don't think the diameter nor depth of a pipe matters as much as how familiar I am with how that specific pipe wants to be smoked. I have fat pipes, narrow pipes, medium pipes, tall pipes, and squat pipes, some I know well and always smoke straight to the bottom with no relights, and some I am still figuring out.

My motto is that there are no bad pipes, just some pipes have a steeper learning curve.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I don't think the diameter nor depth of a pipe matters as much as how familiar I am with how that specific pipe wants to be smoked.
We all have a unique smoking style that we frequently vary with the pipe. In my case, the variance is entirely accounted for by the difference in airflow of which bowls dimensions are a good part. But, this may have nothing to do with the OP's issue.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
My small pipes are all quite narrow, I guess that's the main factor; since I pack it and light it the same way I would with my larger pipes. Do you mean I should puff slower or faster to keep it lit?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, you may be overpacking. Try packing lighter first. The tempo tends to work itself out when the pack is right.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I guess what I mean is different blends sometimes require different pressures when loading. Obviously what you are doing with your larger pipes is not working with the smaller bowls. You will have to potter around a bit to find what works. Might be fun! You are sure to learn something new about your pipes.
edit: 20 members will give you 15 to 20 different suggestions. Just try some of them and see what works for you.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Thanks for all the advice, I guess the main reason is that I just don't smoke small pipes enough, and I smoke my large pipes most often. Need to experience different sorts of packing, tamping, and cadence more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't noticed that so much, however, I have found that flake or plug goes longer in a small pipe than loose tobacco with fewer relights.

Status
Not open for further replies.