Small hairline crack, Meershaum Calabash, F. Baki Beauty!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

italpiper13

Lurker
Jun 3, 2013
Hi all,
I just received my F. Baki African Gourd Calabash: See it here
I loaded it with Dunhill EMP and had the best smoke of my life! ultra cool, dry and tasty smoke!! Can't wait to fire it up again!!
While smoking though, I noticed a very faint hairline crack on the outer edge of the meershaum bowl insert - seemingly almost underneath the surface, about .5" in length, but it just fades away into the white of the Meershaum....seems harmless, but bothers me a little nonetheless!
Would you guys worry about this crack spreading? I've contacted the vendor and we're in the middle of email exchange (photo's etc.), so will keep y'all posted with their responses...
any info would help - thanks!!!!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
An interesting question. I would keep a weather eye on the crack to see if it spreads further and if it does I would then talk to the guy who sold it to you.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
Yes, Deniz has a reputation for being more than fair. I'm sure you'll work out a favorable solution.
Love my Baki gourd, yours is outstanding with the bamboo.

italpiper13

Lurker
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks schaum, and all!
Deniz replied; he's a gentlemen; offered to send me a new meershaum bowl, but stated that the hairline crack shouldn't be a problem -
I offered to pay for the bowl - not his fault, the pipes they make are exquisite, and it's good to have an extra bowl lying around anyway!
Thanks to all,
Rob

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Glad to hear that Deniz was so helpful with your issue, I just took the plunge on a Baki gourd myself. I grabbed this nice early 20th century styled one with silver cap and ferrule, and best part, no big overhanging cap of Meerschaum to chip or crack lol! Of course 925 Sterling probably isn't that much tougher than meerschaum, but I really like having the meer bowl contained within something sturdier and easier to clean/polish.
http://imgur.com/w2ksNRF

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
That is a sick looking pipe! I love the bamboo incorporated into the shank, they really compliment each other and make the pipe a more unique piece. Glad you got it worked out with the hairline crack, i've yet to come across anyone, pipemaker or retailer, who does not stand behind their work or the product they sell to the public. This instance is no exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.