PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Kevin: What happened man? How could you be out in only 9 minutes? Did you even get your pipe lit?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
They should put the slow smoke contest on TV. Gotta be at least as interesting as watching some old boy bass fishing.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Lawrence, I don't remember Raymond's time, but I have all the notes.
I packed badly and sucked a piece of tobacco into the air hole and it was over for me. (You can't use a pipe cleaner.)
Bubba did awesome. It was his first slow smoke contest and he missed 1 hour by 6 seconds.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Cool! That time should have put Bubba in the upper third.

Not a bad showing at all.

It's amazing how the littlest thing can affect your time.

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
9 minutes!...bummer...you'll get em' next year champ :wink: :puffy:
And congrats to Bubba! What a great showing for a first timer :clap:

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Hey Kevin: Gotta give you some newbee lessons. Gotta sip that baby instead of puffing! Ha Ha. Now ya gotta go back next year and do better man.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
My first year, (last year) I did 20 minutes. But this year, I got a trophy, a crystal candy dish filled with matches, and a tin of Frog Morton.
And here's the good thing about me going out first ...
It's always been one of the most important parts of my mission with this site to grow the hobby. One of the things that negatively affects growth of the pipe hobby is when people are intimidated by it. They might be afraid that they are doing it wrong, or not smoking the right pipe or tobacco, or afraid of what others will think of them smoking a pipe.
So when someone that might be perceived or expected to be some kind of expert, like the owner of PipesMagazine.com, goes out first, I hope it will encourage others to participate where they may have otherwise been afraid to.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
So, you did it on purpose ?

Anything to make the new guys feel at home !

Whattaguy!

:)

FWIW, I dont mind how many times I relight, typically I'm lighting again 5 minutes in anyway

tacoman

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Kevin, that crystal candy dish was very cool and a lot nicer than the usual baggie of wooden matches. One thing I always keep in mind - at my first slow smoke, the first guy out had written a book on how to win a slow smoke, and the second guy out was the previous year's champ. And now we have Bubba's sterling example. So, if you have never entered a slow smoke contest, have no fear!

westcoastrich

Might Stick Around
Feb 17, 2011
I also went out first at our local pipe club slow smoking contest, no excuse, just went out. I had a good time with all the kidding I got.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I did 54 minutes and 54 seconds longer than I thought I would! I was going for 5 minutes! It was a blast and I can't wait to do it again next year!
I got this Chacom pipe as the competition pipe...
IMG_3705.jpg

And I got this Genod pipe as a prize...
IMG_3704.jpg

It was a great experience!
Edit: I know what you are thinking, that is a pretty blue bottle in the pictures. Keep a look out for the ads that should be showing up soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.