New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a great day at the Briary in Birmingham today. I got to try lots of samples, see lots of pipes, and meet lots of new people, Facebook friends in person, and some friends from the forum here.

Meeting Erik Nording was the highlight. He is such a great down to earth guy. I asked lots of questions about the pipes that I have, and some that I want of his. And, we got to talk a little about hunting.

nordingnme.jpg

I also participated in the slow smoking contest. I will have to say that even after practicing for weeks, when they hand you those two little bitty matches and everyone's eyes are on you, it is intimidating, knowing you only have a minute or so to get her lit. But, I made it 24 minutes and was the fifth person out. I noticed the first four go out, and I snickered. Then, I noticed the little trail of smoke that I was keeping going stopped. I panicked and tamped, while drawing in short puffs. If it had not extinguished on its own, I am sure that I killed what minuscule fire that may have remained. I just tried to go too slow. Next time, I will just focus on keeping it going, instead of going as slow as possible. or, some variation in between. It was fun none-the-less.

briaryss1.jpg

briaryss2.jpg

briaryss3.jpg

At least the winner was a fellow forum member here, Vorheez (sp?) and, I got to meet shaintiques and politicalmonster in person also. The winner got an awesome Nording pipe/knife combo. Very beautiful. I hope he posts a picture on here.

All in all, a good time was had by all. And, our wallets are a lot lighter, ha ha!!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Reads like a great time and would have loved to have been there. Any pictures of the knife? I'll have to go a fire up one of my Nordings.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yes it was very fun. I also was competing for the first time and was surprised by the adrenaline at the start of the competition. But a good time was had by all. I planned to buy a Nording but ended up getting a Tom Richard instead. I will post pics soon.

politicalmonster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
Definitely a fantastic day! It was great meeting all the new people like cosmicfolklore, and I would have done better than 4th place in the slow smoke if I hadn't been betrayed by my tiny bladder!

Meeting Erik Nording was awesome and he signed my pipe bag.

Just a fun day with my fellow pipe smokers. Couldn't ask for better.

-PM

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Damn Jason, and I thought you were lucky when you won that Growley at the Chattanooga show! Congrats on winning..... again!

Sounds like a good time was had by all! I would liked to have gone myself, just a little too far and not quite enough time to spare.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I had called the Briary on Saturday regarding a pipe on their website, one of the Ewe Jopps, and heard the background noise. The fellow that answered the phone said that there were near 100 folks at that event.
I had no idea that fellow members of the forum were there.
Sounds like you all had a great time.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
The tobacco amount was the same given out in pre-weighed bags but we got to use our own pipes. The really cool thing is that there is no charge to compete. The Briary hosts and give very nice prizes as Jason won a Nording Pipe and Knife set in the presentation box. And Nording was on hand to sign it.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Just checking in today. Thanks to all who gave congrats. It was a wonderful event, The Briary is a great place and meeting Mr. Eric Nording was an extreme pleasure. The pipe and knife set. Is very nice and I will post pictures on Monday. Thanks again to Dave (shaintiques) and Aaron (political monster) for letting me ride along.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I loved the photos! Thanks so much for taking the time to take them and post them here.
I would love to see more stories like this, since I live far, far away from any b&ms -- let alone any that would do anything like this.
Bob

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Here are the pictures as promised. From l-r Aaron(politicalmonster), myself(Voorhees), Mr. Nording, and Dave(shaintiques)

The Slow Smoke Competiton grand prize box with Nording's signature.

The contents with the Nording King I bought earlier that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.