PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
New to pipes, have been reading this forum for a while and just joined today.
Background:

My brother shared the hobby with me a couple times this year and gifted me a simple beginner briar pipe for Christmas. I'm trying to compare my experiences against youtube videos and comments on this forum, but I'm still getting mixed results from my smoking. Not sure where to focus on improving my technique.
Materials:

A simple, umarked briar pipe with plastic stem.

Captain Black - basic "rich black" Cavendish
(I have no other pipes or tobacco at this time)
Packing:

Currently trying to become adept that the three step packing with light, medium and firm pressure. This usually leaves my pipe about 3/4 full by the third pinch. It seems firm and doesn't fall out when I turn it over. But it doesn't all seem evenly packed by the time I get to the bottom. More on this below.
Lighting:

Tried both matches and lighters, seem to get better results with matches, but can't use them right now unless I'm in the garage. Front porch is my go-to spot for a smoke. There's been a light wind lately. When I pull during the lighting process... I don't feel like I'm pulling very hard, but my mouth tends to heat up really fast. I think my tobacco is just burns hot really easily. It's very easy to get a warm bite, rather than the cool flavorful smoke I'm after.
Smoking experience:

Lots of re-lighting at this point. I think my minimum for lightings during one smoke is about 3-4 times. I've read that it's not something to worry about, but it disturbs the relaxing nature of the experience for me, so I'm looking to improve. I feel like I get to 'sweet spots' in the bowl, where the burn slows down and becomes even. The smoke gets cool, and the flavor comes out. But as soon as the heat drops down, I pull a little more or make short puffs to try and get it going. One of two things happens. It might heat up really fast, and I get the warm bite. Or it might go out, and I have to re-light, getting the warm bite for a while again until it cools down.
Questions:

Assuming for now that I will be using the same pipe and tobacco, how do I reduce the chances of that warm bite?

Should I try to dry the tobacco? What are the easiest methods for that?

Could my uneven smoking be due to inexperienced packing technique? What are the easy pitfalls in the three-pinch method? Any other methods I should try?

Are there actual 'pulling' techniques to keep an even slow smoke?
Thanks for your time, and for providing this forum and community.

Cheers!

sal57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2012
smgoften,it's something that comes with time take it slow and easy before you know it you''ll have it down path.

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
I'm no expert and don't smoke a lot of sweet aromatic tobaccos much anymore (sugar burns hot) but I got a much cooler smoke a few years ago when I stopped "pulling" or "puffing" with my cheeks. I started using my tongue as a piston to draw the smoke in. Tongue brought down to the floor of the mouth, pulling smoke in as I breathe in through my nose (the smoke stays in my mouth), then lifting my tongue to the roof of my mouth, closing off the pipe stem and then when exhaling air from my lungs through my nose, the smoke is drawn up and out through my nasal passages. Finding rhythm between the inhaling and drawing smoke in by practicing made this second nature and I do it without really thinking about it now. Finding your own rhythm will be half the fun of smoking a pipe (no, really).

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the replies. It seems like rhythm must be a major factor in attaining the experience I'm after.
Let me know if there are any other tips on the front end with the handling of the tobacco that can help.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
+1 Steve on the tongue technique. Moving my tongue like this also helps with tasting the smoke as well as exhaling it through the nose.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Put your tobbaco on a paper towel for a while , pinch a dab, if it clumps together its too wet, try packing looser, first load press very gentle, 2nd pinch a little firmer, third firmer, after charring light tamp at a : 45 deg angle, push hot spot to middle, as it burns keep your pack tight, remember you can easily press too hard with tamper, if that fails, Light up a stogie. LOL. The old cajun

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the advice on checking moisture and tamping! I will definitely try this out on the next smoke, which should be tomorrow as I'm hosting a New Years gathering. A good occasion for trying something new!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
+1 on what Roth said.
One issue could be the pipe. Some lower priced pipes can be drilled off center or have airways that are too small. If it's a filter pipe, try smoking with the filter out, too. If you have the money to invest in a better pipe, like a Savinelli, do so. As a beginner, you should enlist the help of a tobacconist, if possible and make sure the briar has nice thick walls and can pass a cleaner from bit to bowl easily. The airway should be drilled dead center at the bottom of the bowl.
Another is the tobacco. I started with CBW too and it did the job, but CBW is wet and goopy. Try 1-Q instead, if you have to have an aromatic. You'll like it! Even better would be to get a nice English blend like the Frog Mortons or Dunhill Early Morning Pipe. You'll notice way more actual flavor in the tobacco and both smoke well with a minimum of dry time.
Check out the links at the bottom left of this page and there will be some tutorials on packing your pipe. Very good info there! A good general rule is gravity fill to the top, tamp gently until it is halfway in the bowl. Fill to the top again and gently tamp to about 2/3. On the last fill tamp a little more judiciously and leave a good 1/8 inch between the tobacco and the rim.
Test the draw. Should be like sipping a soda through a straw. Not thick, like a milkshake!
Do a "False Light". Use a match if possible and give it a good couple of puffs. Then tamp it a bit.
Do a "True Light". Sip slow as you hold the flame just beyond the rim, pulling it down into the tobacco.
Pipes don't have to billow smoke to work. Sip slow and in cadence (you'll find the right one in time). Don't puff hard to keep it lit. If it can't be kept lit with a gentle tamp, just do a relight. It's no crime.
Tamp gently and only to push the ember down to the unburned tobacco. Don't squash the ember!
Best advice of all is don't over think it and don't fret about relights. Pipe smoking is meant to be enjoyed, not worried over. Work on technique. Consistency will come with time.

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the tobacco recommendations, I'll look up reviews and try one of those next. Also, I appreciate your summary and conclusion, baronsamedi.
While there is a wealth of information available on the internet, it's great to have a supportive, responsive community to put a finer point on a specific case.
Much obliged, everyone!

lyle

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Des Moines, IA, USA
Others have touched on these, but I have to reiterate the two things that made my smoking tons easier:
1) Dry out your tobacco before you smoke it

2) Tamp very gently, using little more than the weight of you tamper
If everything is right (it will take a while for this to happen consistently), you will be able to hold the pipe in your mouth with the back of you tongue closing off your throat, and just the simple act of breathing through your nose will cause your mouth to automatically, gently smoke the pipe. You'll see constant little wisps of smoke coming out of the bowl, and you can blow out an occasional big mouthful of smoke. I've heard this called "breath smoking." It's a beautiful thing!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
It took me 6 months to reach that "AH-HA" moment. Came when it was least expected from a pie that I thought I was going to sell and a tobacco I have never tried. It takes time. Stick with it. Don't rush. When I was first starting out I smoked CBW and enjoyed it very much. But it seemed like the tobacco had to be just the right amount of dryness. As far as the warm bite at the beginning, that could be for a couple reasons. One being that the tobacco is too wet causing you to have to light multiple times making it very warm which in the end will me it more wet. Another could be its packed too tight forcing you to draw harder to get it to light. Use the pinch method on your tobacco before loading. Pinch some tobacco between your thumb, fore, and ring finger and let it fall back into the pouch. If it sticks together in a clump, then it is too wet. I prefer my aros almost completely dry. Then without loading any tobacco in your pipe, take a draw and get a feel for the draw with no tobacco. Then start loading with the three step process like you have been, but take a draw after each step ensuring the hole isn't blocked. If it is empty and start over. I've had to empty a pipe as many as 5 times, but it was worth it. Then once you've completed the process, take a draw without a lighter or match. That draw should be about 75% of what it was with no tobacco. If it is proceed with your lighting procedures. Make sure to tamp the tobacco down between the charring light and true light. Also make sure to tamp throughout the time. The best way I can describe of when to tamp is before you think you need too. If you're still getting a good draw on the smoke but it was slightly less than the previous time, set a tamper on the embers and take another draw. I wouldn't worry about re-lights especially with CBW. 3-4 isn't bad and is really close to the norm. I've done as many as 10 re-lights with a heavy aro and as little as none with a good English.

smgorden

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
Ahh, nice to have some statistics shared about relights. I guess my 'starter' tobacco being Capt. Black is a major contributor to the heat and moisture issues.
To everyone: I'm taking serious mental notes on this tamping business. Sounds like I've been tamping too hard and too late.
A few of my recent smoke times have been at night, and it's an interesting factor to be able to see the subtle glow of the ember on my hand during a relight. Helps me locate the ember and get an idea of when it's cooling down. Can't see that during the day. I may apply this new tamping wisdom at night when I can combine all my observational faculties at once.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Three things made the most impact as a newbie for me, when trying to get an even, slow burn.
1. Packing: I want the bottom loose, the top packed real tight. Like the Frank method does. You don't have to follow the frank method but it gives you the best idea on what I mean. When the top is like a cork, when its densely and tightly packed you get a very slow burn which is even across the surface, AND down as well.
2. Lighting: Take your time, smooth the surface as good as you can, take 5 or 10 false lights if need be, Then evenly light the surface. If it doesn't glow evenly in a nice round circle on the top your whole smoke is set to be skewed down the road with all the effects such as unburied tobacco, extra heat, uneven smoke draw, going out, condensation. People really don't give the lighting of the pipe enough consideration.
3. Tamping: Start to hold the tamper at a 30-45 degree angle with the lower edge towards the edge of the bowl when tamping. You will create a little "hill" or dome in the middle. Don't tamp just down. Don't push. O pressure. Ash is light and the weight of the tamper alone is sufficient for the job. Especially if you followed number 1 above, you won't need to use the tamper as a tool to press the tobacco in the first and second pinch layers together enough so that if keeps burning - it will stay lit easily on its own.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Welcome smgorden. As mentioned a good slow steady burn will come with patience and experience. Here's my suggestion: Get yourself a tin of Mac Baren Navy Flakes or Vanilla Cream flakes and snip the flakes into little cubes with a pair of scissors. load them into your bowl and push down lightly once with your finger then light.
I detailed this method in this post: Cube cut method
Keep in mind:

1) It's OK to have relights. That is a part of pipe smoking. In time you will require less and less relights as you hone your skills.

2) I often smoke at night too. It helps to be able to see the ember to tell what is going on in your bowl. I will periodically blow across the rim and into the bowl to scatter out the loose ash. This seems to keep the ember burning in between puffs.

3) Enjoy the experience. Don't sweat it or think to deeply into it. Pipe smoking is all about relaxation.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Most has already been said. I've been exactly where you are. All I can say is to keep plugging away. Smoking a pipe is one thing you definitely cannot learn to do simply by reading about it. Smoke. Practice. Be patient. Don't be too hard on yourself. It will come. And once it does, it will be worth it. May take some time. May take up to a year. Just be patient and gently persistent.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I use a "gravity fill" method for packing.
Drop a pinch of tobacco into the chamber, push it down gently. Repeat until the chamber is full with the tobacco still springy to the touch.
Don't puff too fast or too hard, and don't tamp too hard. Sometimes you can avoid a re-light with the right amount of tamping.
Happy Puffin' :puffy:

joey

Lurker
Dec 11, 2012
great advice to read, even after i've found my own rhythm.
smgorden, as a newbie myself i can't stress enough slowing down on the draws and puffs. in my case, i realized that i was smoking way too fast, which explained why i was getting tongue bite so easily and also why i wasn't really enjoying the flavor of the tobacco anywhere near as much as i do now. as with all things, practice practice practice. pipe smoking is one activity where taking it nice and easy now will pay off dividends in the near future.
sample some other tobaccos, too. smokingpipes.com lets you buy an ounce at a time. when you find a flavor you enjoy, it might help you to find your rhythm because you wanna keep that awesome taste going!

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Welcome, smgorden and joey. :D
+1 to all above. The only think is saw really missing is you didn't mention tamping in your OP.

Learning when and how will drop your relights dramatically because you are essentially relighting the

fresh tobacco with the embers from the spent.
Avoid burn with drying your tobacco.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
=here's what worked for me..

-dry your tobacco dryer then you think it needs to be

-I load by very loosely filling the bowl and very lightly pressing, repeat filling and pressing just a hair firmer, then top it off over the bowl top and press down to just below the rim.

-then a good solid false light and very light tamp.

-then a true light just to the center of the bowl.

-tamp less then you think you need and lighter then you think you need.

-always be drawing on the pipe when you tamp.
if you get to a 1/2 bowl or below and start having to relight.. I dump the really lose ash, take my pick and loosen up the tobacco and light again this will usually get you to the bottom of the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.