PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
3rd-600x398_zps6fd9edb5.jpg

I bought an estate Ser Jacopo. I tried attaching a photo. Anyway it has a slight char on the rim how can I remove this safely?
EDIT:Fixed the picture for you-Uber

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
easterntraveler:
First, welcome to the forum!
Unless the previous owner used a lighter on the pipe, I'm guessing that you're not so much dealing with "char" as with. . . well, "gunk." I've found that the best way to remove this kind of build-up is with saliva, a clean and lint-free handkerchief or rag, and lots of elbow grease. I don't personally recommend alcohol -- which I think should be kept as far away from a bowl's exterior as possible, for fear of damaging the finish -- or even vinegar, which, while a fairly mild solvent, can still damage a finish. Depending on the extent of the build-up, you should probably be prepared to spend maybe 15 minutes, with multiple applications of saliva and lots of rubbing.
BTW, this is assuming the pipe has a smooth finish on the top of the bowl. If it's a sandblasted or craggy top, I'd encourage you to check the Pipe Maintenance/Repair section of the forum here for more-specific tips.
Bob

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I agree with using saliva. I bought a pipe off ebay that the rim was awful, I used cotton buds and saliva and it came out really well

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
You had the right idea for uploading pics, but you can't upload them from pipesmagazine.com. Get a photobucket account(it's free) and upload the pictures there. Click on the picture you uploaded, on the right side of the screen it will say Image links. Click it and several options will drop down. Click on the one that says IMG Code. It will copy it for you automatically. Then just paste it into whatever you are posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.