PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some tobaccos just creep up on you. For me, it is usually that I finish them and forget them, then weeks later find myself craving their flavor.
The first, a big surprise, was Dunhill Elizabethan. At first, I thought it boring; then its depth revealed itself to me, with the help of smoking a lot of its relative Royal Yacht. When the tin was done, I thought it good I could move on to other things. Two weeks later, I was uncapping another tin of Elizabethan, having missed it horribly.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I felt this way about Sutliff Blend No. 5. About a year and a half ago, after reading a review on this site, I ordered some. I smoked a few bowls but was not impressed with it. It just seemed to be a rather blah English blend. So I jarred it up and forgot about it. A few months ago I saw it sitting back on the shelf, and thought, why not. For some reason I found it to be something that I thought was a really good smoke now. I don't know if my tastes have changed or the year of aging changed it, but now it reminds me a little of Frog Morton, but not as sweet. Needless to say this was a surprise to me, so I guess it could be considered a sleeper tobacco. I kept coming back for more, and just recently ordered another tin. I'll have to compare the old with the new to see if there's really any difference, or if it's just me. :|

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
SG 1792 has grown on me, albeit no alone, I mix it in with something else. IE: Carter Hall or Lane 1Q, and Perique. Gives anything a little kick and a interesting flavor enhancement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz have that kind of appeal. Robust and memorable, but I don't immediately re-supply. Then I do.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Years ago when I was travelling to the States a lot on business, Richmond VA was a frequent stop, and if you're a smoker, and in Virginia, then it's a must stop, for me anyway.
So, years ago I found a private blend by them, Old Virginia Flake. It has a scent and flavour that comes and goes somehow. They swore it wasn't cased in spite of the sweet scent, and it's left no ghost in any of my pipes. I smoked and gave away about 2 lbs and now have but a few grams left, enough for a couple of bowls maybe. I always want to smoke it, but still tend to save it for a "rainy day". I miss smoking that blend all the time.
OVTC's description:
A union of bright and red-dappled Virginias. Partially rubbed out matured flake. It's cool and dry smoking characteristics reign supreme. A great natural Virginia taste. A great subtle aroma even smokers who prefer aromatics appreciate this one.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The first time I encountered Pelican it was from a full unopened tin a fellow member gifted me along with a couple of others which inc a 2001 Cream colored bag of Penzance. I fell in love with the Penzance instantly. The pelican not so much. I actually didn't care for it at all. Yesterday I gave it yet another chance, what was likely my 3-4th attempt. All of the sudden I loved it... as though my taste buds finally got the hint. Seriously righteous smoke!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
C&D Billy Budd and Old Joe Krantz have that kind of appeal.
OJK was this way for me. It crept from "this'll do, but I'll get Nicotine poisoning" to "I must have this... every morning."
With apologies to Snoop:
Smoke OJK

erry day

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Oddly, Carter Hall for me. I used to find it too bland as a stand-alone, but used it as a mixer quite a bit. Lately, I have warmed up to it quite a bit as a good smoke on its own.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"Oddly, Carter Hall for me. I used to find it too bland as a stand-alone, but used it as a mixer quite a bit. Lately, I have warmed up to it quite a bit as a good smoke on its own."
Exactly, me too.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
H&H Anniversary Kake. This had moved from a cheap way to expand a cellar, to a really enjoyable smoke for me. It's a two note chord, but those two notes are lovely.
*note: I'm well aware that two notes don't make a chord :nana:

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
GLP Cumberland is doing this to me right now. I've had a tin open for most of this year, working my way through it very slowly. At first I didn't get it, but now that it's almost gone, I'm thinking I may have to add a tin to my next order. It's been an enjoyable smoke at times when I didn't really know what I was in the mood for.

Status
Not open for further replies.