PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Lydia or Serana?
Saw this poll on some Skyrim site and found it interesting.
I say Lydia because she was my first love. Did marry Iona (housecarl of Honeyside in Riften where the Thieves Guild is), but only because I didn't know you could console marry Lydia. Kept her alive the whole time, except when she'd jump in front of my two-handed axe and die with one blow. I admit it, I'd reload.
Twas a sad day when Dawnguard forced me to take Serana and send Lydia back to Breezehome. However, I deliberately didn't do the final Dawnguard mission, so I could keep the essential and therefore unkillable Serana. Her ranged magic is a good match with my pure fighter character skills.
Lydia has a bunch of new dialog in Dragonborn, so I guess I can finally send Serana packing.
The best comment I saw on the Skyrim site was: I pick Lydia, because if I died I'm sure Serana would reanimate my corpse as a zombie, and that makes me uncomfortable.
So, Lydia or Serana?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Neither. Sorry bud, but this is the only video game I have ever played that I almost fell asleep playing, after 30 minutes. And I have played Call of Duty and NCAA Football for entire weekends. But for the sake of the pole, my vote goes to darker character.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Haven't met Serana yet, but very much like Lydia. I bought the house in Whiterun first, recently bought a second place in Markarth, the housecarl is a guy and he is quite rude. I took him on one mission then put him back at the house, and got Lydia back. I married the chick from Riverwood, except for the income from the store it was kind of a letdown.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@eagle, you are the only person I know that didn't like Skyrim. There's even some crazy guy out there that got to the highest level without completing ANY quests! He just farmed, ate, hung out and slept. Now that's boring (and somehow impressive).
@phil you married Camilla? That would be a letdown as she's not a housecarl and is just a trader. Serana is in the first expansion, Dawnguard. You're forced to take her with you through it all, as her dad is the main bad guy you have to defeat at the end. She can't be killed and has some cool spells, a good match with a pure fighter player character. She's also pretty cute in real life ;) and has done a TON of computer games.
Serana (Laura Bailey)

Serana_zps37b74b3a.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's an incredible amount of money made by the makers of video games, and millions are enthralled

by them. However, for those of us who are not, there is this echoing sense that people who spend more

than a few hours a week on them, if that, ought to get a life. Like maybe pipe carving, gardening, or a

good trip to a real destination without using electric games for a while? Ok, so much from the grouchy

old man. Back to the screen with you.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Not much of a gamer either, but I do enjoy playing Skyrim. I just recently picked this game up used and I don't think I will finish it for some time since I usually only get to play maybe 4 hours of video games a week. But as far as role playing games go I've managed to have a smoke while playing so no time wasted. Maybe it's just the new breed. My girlfriends kid is always plugged into something. I prefer the old pen and paper stuff myself; I can really get through a few bowls that way or even just a game of cards.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
OMG....you're gonna have me load up the game again and buy the expansions. Must fight the urg. I did want to master pickpocketing...but not as cat-boy.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I may one of the few who doesn't like taking anyone with me. I usually do all my questing alone.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
For the life of me, I can not understand gamers. I spend my workday on a computer. The last thing I would want to spend my free time on is a computer! Or a TV. For me its pipes, books, tea, walking and the great outdoors.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@kashmir: I can spend all day as a tech, then want to spend all evening and all weekend with my home pcs. That's when I finally get to do what I want to do with them! And you can still pipe and tea (at least, if you're allowed to smoke inside). Walking would bore me to death :) Great outdoors is good for racing, blasting clay pigeons, paintball and camping, but there's no computer out there! TV does suck though (except for sports).
Ok guys, twelve replies and no one has taken the poll. phil hasn't met Serana yet, so he's out, and ray dungeons alone, so that's ok. ray, you won't have much of a choice but to take Serana when you do Dawnguard, sorry bro.
Fallout 1 and 2 are Greatness. 3 depresses me. In fact, even the Fallout 3 developers said they were glad to finish it and start Skyrim so they could look at grass!
@gnat: Buy Dawnguard!!! The quests are well written and I swear it improves the graphics. You have to pick Light Side (vampires bad), or Dark Side (vampires good), so you can play it twice if you want. Talk to any guard to kick it off. Hearthfire kinda sucks. You just get to build custom houses with it, ie no new quests at all. Dragonborn seems like it will be pretty cool. I have it installed but haven't started it yet; am currently taking Skyrim break.
Currently playing turn-based games, because it's easier to smoke ;) Can't do it very well while Mass Effecting or CODing!
UPDATE: Just found out Serana stays essential and unkillable even if you do finish Dawnguard; will have to go back and kill her evil Vampire Lord dad.
PS You're not an old gamer if you don't remember Lunar Lander on the TRS-80 (remember CLOAD?), or green screen Adventure. Pong counts too.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Yeah baby, that's reading! Only it's interactive!
@Lawrence: You had Pong? On what? I had to pay 25¢ every time I wanted to play that.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@Dervis: I am sworn to carry your burdens.
Sorry man, couldn't resist :) Well, that was sort of an answer - NOT Lydia. I think I'm going to let this thread die.
@roth: Cool and double cool! Thanks for the link!
PS Oh boy. Playing me some Zork 1, with an Albany Canadian stuffed with MacBaren 7 Seas Regular and black coffee. Fortunate is the man who gets to smoke inside!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I play the game on the console... And honestly did not even know this this was online lol.
A bunch of information on this game. It feels very large.
And I haven't the slightest clue about this marriage stuff in the game haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.