PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
How many tobaccos do you keep in rotation?

I ask more out of concern that having too many may allow some to get dry before I finish them. I generally only smoke three bowls a day, four days a week.

That said, I'd like to have a good variety (once I have a good variety, that is).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have many, many, Mason jars from which I partake over an extended period of time.

Some jars have lasted several years. Doesn't seem to affect the tobacco adversely.
How many blends can you keep in some form of rotation? Depends on how many jars you want to keep around.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I usually have 20-24 blends in my rotation at all times. I love variety and keeping open tins is never an issue for me because of the way I store them. In this picture on the second shelf, you will see a couple of plastic tubs which is where I keep my open tins, they stay fresh for moths like this.

DSC09706.jpg

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Like most things in this hobby of ours, there isn't a right or wrong answer - just what suits you. I like to have several blends on the go at once. A tin of the one I smoke least has probably been open 6 months and is still fine. Many blends ship a little too moist anyway which gives you some leeway.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I have only 5 tobaccos in my rotation: Dunhill RY, Dunhill EMP, Dunhill NC, Connoisseur Turkish Black and Amphora Red. I really should be a bit more explorative, but I'm currently in the midst of a PAD binge.
"...they stay fresh for moths like this."
Heck, I hope they stay fresh for you, too.! :lol:

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
I was mainly worried about them drying out once opened, but I see that is nothing to worry about...outside of the fact that I can buy more and more and more...(maniacal laugh followed by a serene far off look).
Thanks,

Matt

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
I currently have 20 snack bags of different kinds I'm going thru. I really like variety and there's so much out there to try. Most are less than an ounce so hopefully I can get thru them before they go stale.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I keep about ten tobaccos in rotation, one or two open tins and the rest bulk. I keep unopened tins on hand, several, as a back-up, and

a partial 14 oz can of my favorite OTC as another option (Granger at this point). My current rotation is Dunhill M 965, two Balkans,

three Cavendish, English Oriental, a Virginia, a Burley, and another English blend. I also have a few pouches on standby, one open.

It's hardly the gourmet selection, but it provides variety. I smoke a bowl or two every day or two, maybe less.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Humm.... So I keep all of my tobacco in either the original tin or in a closed Mason Jar. I don't think I have to worry too much about it drying out. I go into my closet, pick one out, fill a bowl and reseal the jar. That's not going to dry out will it?

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
It is difficult for me not to open a new tin I have never tried it before when I get it. I must have over forty tins opened and jarred. Plus I have a lot of bulk tobaccos. The thing is there are so many quality blends out there it is difficult for me to cut down on the rotation. I like them all. For example I must have at least 7-8 GLP Balken tins opened. I wish I had more time to smoke but I can only manage 2-3 times per day at most. Two smokes that I really love is are Squadron Leader and Penzance, I wish I could smoke both everyday then try a random blend after dinner but many times I can't. So it just depends on how much time you have to smoke I quess.

bogglor

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2012
Lets see... 60 open jars, probably 15 of which are aromatics that I almost never smoke. So lets say 45 blends in my rotation and call it a day. :)

ash13brook

Lurker
Jul 2, 2012
After I open a tin, I keep it in a ziplock bag. I drive a truck (home every night), so can't carry 3 or for mason jars around. Although, I guess I could carry a couple of the small 4 oz. jars. Should I maybe keep a humidity disc in the ziplock? I get through a tin in a couple of months, but so far, I've only had 3 or 4 different tobaccos in my rotation. I guess I can add more and see at what point drying becomes an issue.
Matt

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
3 big jars with my basics. 1 tin of whatever I'm experimenting with.
I only smoke about 10 bowls a week.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
So do you guys just not open new tins you have not ried before until you finished an open tin?

Status
Not open for further replies.