PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atskywalker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2015
Canada
My first tin of Sixpence arrived today and I'm on my second bowl. Just wanted to share and see if anyone else got the same impressions. I'm smoking it in my Savinelli Churchwarden.
- My first impression upon lighting it was very bad! It tasted horrible. Like bad leaf laced with alcohol! I was shocked because GLP blends seem to be the definition of greatness!

- I patiently puffed with disappointment and then something changed!

- It darkened and developed gradually and suddenly it snuck up on me with glory... I've never experienced this with anything before!

- Sixpence held me hostage in anticipation because like a spell it was getting stranger with each invocation! (puff)

- By mid bowl it became something completely different! Voluptuous, earthy, sweet, and fragrant. It seemed to be begging for soft deep sipping to show its colours.

- By the end of the bowl I was looking at the tin sitting on desk calling me for another journey to its depth and mystery.
Greg in his description says "composed to perfect harmony from first light to the wonderful crescendo of the last puff".. This truly happens with this blend. It builds up like a fine performance! But I wonder why it tasted bad at the beginning and if anyone else had the same experience.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sounds mighty fine, another one for my unending list, having just taken delivery of five tins and a pouch of various McB blends and still working on a wonderful sampler put together for me by a Forums member that has surprised, delighted and mystified at every turn.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Skywalker, that was also my impression on the first bowl I tried, except it never got better for me. About a month later I had another bowl, and it was better, but no earth-changing transformation for me. I just attributed it to my particular tastes. I am meaning to try another bowl since it's been at least a month since the last, and see if the airing out has mutated more to my liking. Everybody seems to like it, though.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hmm, well, it was a fresh tin. Sometimes they need to air out a bit to let the alcohol topping abate. That said, I don't recall sextant punching me in the face when opened. That was the dfk's job.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have had it and thought the taste was pretty good overall but I got a little tongue bite off of it and I am a slow sipper. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it again despite the bite.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have recently tried and have been very much enjoying Six Pence. Unlike your experience with this blend I have found it to start out very smooth and flavourful and remain that way for the entire bowl. I'm still fairly inexperienced when it comes to the characteristics of tobacco blends but I can say that with Six Pence I can taste the sweet grassiness of the Virginias, the nice spiciness of the Perique and the full roundness of the DFK. I find that all three flavours are present all the time and equally so as to blend harmoniously, never pushing the others aside, but always complimenting each other. A very tasty blend for sure. In fact I think the next bowl I pack tonight will be Six Pence. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm gonna let my tin age a little longer. But I can say that many other blends from G L Pease require some "get acquainted" time.

Once you figure them out, you're hooked. :puffy:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
True Cortez...I am still struggling to get acquainted with Quiet Nights. I also have a couple tins of Six Pence in the cellar to age for awhile. It will be interesting to later compare the aged tin experience to the fresh tin. :puffy:

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I tried it a few months ago and was like you at first I had to make myself smoke it. Then like you about half way through it was like something turned on a light switch I found somewhere along the way I was enjoying the blend and didn't even realize it.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
I smoked two tins so far and I really like it. For me, it was good from the very beginning. I have gone through those tins rather fast compared to other blends I smoke. In my opinion, GLP did a great job once again!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Like Cortez my tins are setting in their respective stations in my cellar. My experiences with some of Greg's Virginia and VaPer's has taught me that good things come to those that stand and wait. If an open tin invite comes my way I'd certainly imbibe but I think at least 2 years should meld and marry everything nicely.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Isn't it interesting how we are all affected differently by tobacco blends. I myself just started smoking Six Pence at the begining of April. I have had about 15 bowls. I can understand why everyone says what they say, but for me it's kinda like cortez said
many other blends from G L Pease require some "get acquainted" time
. At this point I love it, but I still get a little tongue bite if used in the wrong pipe. It's a learning curve for some who are sensitive to that like me. And to be perfectly honest, for me the first 1/4 of any bowl never floats my boat like the rest of the bowl does... it always seems dry and tasteless relative to the rest of the bowl imo. But.. it's all good!

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I've got a bit left from a tin I tried. It's not anywhere in my mind to order this again, whereas right away with Nightcap I knew I needed to get more. Sixpence smells pleasant, but the aroma reminds me of those brown, cylindrical food pellets I recall from my Uncle's barn as a kid.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I've only had three or four bowls of it so my opinions are surely green but my experience has been similar to freakiefrogs.
I have an utter need to open tins as soon as I get them. I popped this tin and thought it smelled great - put a little aside to dry just a bit and jarred up the rest. The first bowl was a little touch and go and I think it could have used some more drying but I was really almost infatuated with it by the end.
The next time I opened the mason jar the smell of it really drove me off. Breaking it up a bit and giving it room to breathe in a large jar seemed to cause the alcohol to vaporize; it was overwhelming and not in a good way.
Even still, after persisting, about 1/4 way in to the bowl I was hooked again. I'm still developing my palette so I can't say much about the flavour notes but I find it to be a nuanced and evolving smoke. I have no explicit reason to like it -- but I sure do.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've just about finished my first tin. I received it from my Secret Santa last December- :D

I did not open the tin until the end of January, and when I did, I immediately cube-cut the whole tin. Don't ask me why, because I have never done this with any other blends...........Anyway, I put it all back in the tin, never jarred any of it, just smoked it once twice a week or so. I LOVE the stuff. To me, I get an odd, though quite pleasant "baby powder" quality from it. Hard to describe, but it kind of dries the mouth and leaves a sweet aftertaste. I can't taste any DFK in this either, but the Perique is of the soft, fruity type, but fairly subtle. This blend does'nt remind me of anything else, and I can't for the life of me pick up any alcohol in it. I found myself liking it more and more towards the end of the tin.

Yes, GLP's blends have a bit of a learning curve, well worth the journey. I have since put a dozen tins in the cellar....... :lol:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I bought two tins when it was released. I'm forcing myself to smoke the entire tin I opened, but I think this one is lost on me. I just didnt find it equal to other GLP offerings. I'd rather spend my time with Triple Play for a Pease Va/Per with DFK.
With that said, if anyone would like to trade an unopened tin of Triple Play for a tin Sixpence, shoot me a PM.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It seems that we all do have individual taste(s).

There could be many factors involved with the variety of first impressions and overall impressions of blends such as previous consumption, pipe selection, expectation, projection, and the palette.

When we taste or smell something NEW it might require more than one sample to bring one's taste buds into alignment with the profile.

Maybe even, some of us newbies are still developing our techniques along with our taste buds.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Harris-

It does contain red VA. From GLP's website:
"After a longer than expected wait, I'm happy to announce that Sixpence is now wending its way to tobacconists' shelves. A rich flake comprising a base of beautiful red virginias, a generous portion of perique, and just a bit of dark-fired leaf to add body and dimension. The tobaccos are delicately kissed with a special spirit, then pressed and aged in cakes before being sliced and tinned. The taste and aroma are deep, full and satisfying, reminiscent of traditional tobaccos from long ago. I'm very excited about the release, as I'm sure you can imagine. I've been working on Sixpence for a long time, and am beyond pleased with it. It's one of those rare moments when everything comes together and the final blend actually exceeded the expectations I began the journey with.
It's been a long journey. I had something special in mind when I began this project, something that would hold the smoker's interest throughout the bowl, developing increasing nuances with each puff, while not fatiguing the palate or building too much intensity. The leaf has been carefully selected and composed to perfect harmony from first light to the wonderful crescendo of the last puff. Virginia lovers craving a tobacco that is bold and robust, as well as devotées of latakia mixtures who enjoy virginias as a change of pace will find their reward in every bowl of Sixpence."

Status
Not open for further replies.