PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aerofanadam

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
First apologies for the long post. I always tell folks the difference between us nerds and normal folk is obsessive research. Just skip to Paragraph 3 if you want the question without the backstory.
Ok, after a week of research and an impatient itch to take up pipe smoking, my instincts lead me to churchwardens as the go to reading pipe. My reasons were,the bowl is away from the eyes, if long enough it could be held absently with arm on the armrest of my easychair, and possibly cooler smoke. The Germans here in Schertz and New Braunfels (nearby towns where my favorite bars are) seemed to agree calling them lesepfeife. I looked at my over long ape hanger arms, measured with a sewing tape measure stuck between my lips and decided that a minimum of 12" to a maximum of 18" overall length were the limits of comfortable elbow bend. After sticker shock, largely negative reviews, and just plain ugly looking pipes, I settled for the MacQueen Wizard in cherrywood (briar was on 6 week backorder and I had waited long enough). It's a decent pipe, the only problem is the tiny little bowl. I want to sit on my porch for several hours huddled over my book without having to repack my pipe. Even high dollar churchwardens seem to have these pathetic little thimbles for bowls. It makes no sense, you keep it in hand at all times, so the weight isn't actually a factor. Did I choose wrong to choose churchwardens?
My question is, do you find it easy to read with shorter pipes? What is the minimum length for a clamp in the jaw, hands free pipe that will keep smoke out of my eyes while reading? I've been eyeing Boswell's Large Rippling Wizard lately (starting new job in two weeks and will actually be able to afford it). Is that bend sufficient to keep it away from my face when hunched over a book in the unpredictable Texas wind?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's a big churchwarden. Love Johs pipes.
http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=163171
Though, this is more my idea of a reading pipe. Big and bent.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/16053

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
My old estate Wellington pipes are my favorite reading pipes. I see there are still pipes like those being made though I haven't tried one yet. Prices seem reasonable.
You definitely want a large bowl and a long stem so you can let the pipe rest on your chest as you read.
Anyway, take a look at these -----> Wellington Roma

aerofanadam

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
Hmm, both of those churchwardens are definitely deeper, but not by much. The wizard is .75" x 1.16". The extra half inch should be enough to add some smoke time, I just don't know how much. I'm tempted to just ask Boswell if they will add a churchwarden stem and I could try them both out. New job is still 2 weeks away so probably 4 before I'll put my order in on anything. Lots of time to think it over.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Personally I dislike churchwardens. I only had one just to give it a try some years ago and sold it within a month. A royal PITA to clean aside from the fact that it was a poorly made Peterson (stem to shank did not fit properly), but I'll not dip my toe into those waters and that was not my deciding factor as I simply found them quite awkward. I read at times while smoking a pipe and I've never found an 'ordinary' pipe to be of any concern, and or a problem while doing so.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Although not a fan of the CW myself I understand your reasoning and rest assured a large bowl on a full bent will allow you to read just as easily and maybe provide more comfort. I've seen some larger churchwarden pipe bowls but with that comes weight and the length may be a bit cumbersome for page turning. Many new pipe smokers, particularly the younger ones are attracted to the CW as a first pipe and that's ok, get it out of your system and with time you will more than likely gravitate towards more traditional shapes as your experience dictates. Reading and pipe smoking is relaxing and satisfying, I seem to retain more with a good bowl going and it takes an earthquake, or a slap on the back of the head from my wife to break the spell. Enjoy whatever you are smoking and welcome to the forums!

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
I think the best way to counter the small bowl is a slow burning flake. That's usually what I smoke in mine and even with a small bowl I can get an hour easily out of it. When your done, just load another bowl!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
my reading pipes have become any of them that are too long, heavy or awkward to clench, like a clay with no button, or a churchwarden briar, or a big old heavy billiard.
isaac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several pipes I enjoy with reading are the churchwarden pictured in my avatar, a Sav 601 with an ample bowl; a Johs semi-rusticated extra large bowl that burns for an hour at least; and a Ferndown smooth bent billiard that has an especially deep bowl. I don't usually clench, except to light, and now and then otherwise, but not long.

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Forget measuring for comfortable elbow bends. The beauty of a smoking a churchwarden while reading is that you can rest the bowl on your chest. It's completely hands-free.
That said, I smoke whatever pipe fits my mood when I read; long, short, straight, bent,.. I don't find one to be any more trouble than another.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I like to read while smoking a rusticated or sandblasted pipe. My hand reads the grain while I read the book.
tqaThzrm.jpg

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
What about something like this? Not super long, but longer than many.
004-002-9112.jpg

http://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=164113

aerofanadam

Lurker
Apr 26, 2015
Hmm, I guess I'm just being lazy about bringing the pipe back and forth. I am a statue reader. I grab a book and hold almost perfectly still because I'm so engrossed. It's part of what won me over to Kindle. Tap the thumb, turn the page. I would probably end up holding it until my arm got tired. Then again, it's only a minor change to my current habit. For that matter, I need to get into the habit of wearing my glasses so I don't have to get so close when reading.
MSO, I've had thoughts about several big bellied billiards and I still might pick one up, but they seem a little too short most times for outdoor smoking. Do you ever have trouble with the wind blowing bowl smoke back into your eyes? I see what you mean about rusticated Daniel, now that the appeal has been explained. I just prefer to see the grain if I'm looking at briar. Maxx, that looks like the kind of pipe I pictured going into this venture, medium length, a little silver, a direct stem for gesticulating in public. That would certainly be my go to social pipe, but not sure about it as a stay at home reader.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I find that this Savinelli works well. It is 8" and the price is very reasonable. The bowl is also quite large.

quandale-602-600x399.jpg

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Pretty cool pipe, stan. I have some 5 CW pipes. The first one took some getting used to. I smoke them when I am just contemplating nature. I really prefer my bents for reading. That 8 incher might be the ticket though.

Status
Not open for further replies.