Since We Have Members From Across The Pond . . .

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love the British sense of humor and find a glimpse into another way of life interesting. I thought it might be interesting to find out who else enjoys British TV.
In the early 70's there were some great shows on PBS: "Drs. in the House" was one of my favorites. Who could ever forget one of the interns drunk, playing the organ and belting out "Good Golly, Miss Molly" in St. Smithin's chapel?
Then there was Poldark and The Oneidin Line - rather disappointing since PBS ran out of funding and they stopped the shows before their conclusion.
Of course there is Poirot, Mrs. Bradley, and Midsommer Murders. What are some of your favorites?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I loved all things British growing up as a kid. Enjoyed Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. Watched British football.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like British motorcycles, Dunhills, The many classic rock bands that hail from the UK, Python and Are You Being Served?
A current variety type show I like on the BBC is the Graham Norton Show.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Fawlty Towers, Are You Being Served?, Keeping Up Appearances, Father Ted (with Graham Norton in some of them) etc. The detective seies are great. Our friends in England just seem to do the genre better in most cases.

Speaking of Graham Norton, his show is just a hoot.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
The British tell a better story, American TV is Blow em up shoot um up, I also like the Detective Series, watch a lot on Netflix, via Internet, Finally a decent modern western Longmire, why can"t we have better stories about people like the British do? Thumbs up to British TV.

neverknowsbest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2013
Peep Show is the best. I also like The Mitchell & Webb Look, Shameless (UK), QI, and Top Gear.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I like British TV because up till very recently, tobacco enjoyment figured prominently. My favorites: 'All Creatures Great and Small', 'Faulty Towers', 'As Time Goes By'. Also, anything put out by Grenada Television. Like Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes series. And then there's all the detective series too. Nothing like having the house to one's self, filling up a large bowl, and settling down to watch one of these:
Foyle's War

Prime Suspect

Inspector Morse

Inspector Lewis

A Touch of Frost

The Last Detective

Wallander

Wycliffe

Marple

Agatha Christie's Poirot

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
Are You Being Served?

Keeping Up Appearances

A Bit of Fry & Laurie

Mitchell & Webb Look

Dr. Who

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I am an Anglophile especially their television alas, not every PBS station carries many that have been mentioned so have missed quite a few. When Jeremy Brett died, I took a day off work to mourn his passing. The Grenada Sherlock Holmes series was superb.

The comedies are also wonderful.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Aside from Monty Python not very fond of British TV. My mother however, loves british TV. she enjoys Doc Martin and some others that I probably don't know about.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, yes - Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, The Two Ronnies, Are You Being Served?, 'Allo 'allo, Red Dwarf, Waiting for God...
I mostly go in for the comedies - though I did wind up watching all of "Danger UXB" on Masterpiece Theater when I was in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.