PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Is there another tobacco that comes close?
Maybe I missed it, but why isn't there a 'match" for Penzance yet...for being so well loved nad very hard to find, you would think???

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love P&C's "Larry's Blend", which to me, is "Penzance Light" and a more enjoyable mixture. It still has that menthyol flavor, but not as significant. I forget the ingredient Russ told me he uses. Give it a shot, very easily attainable from P&C.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Dave, will add that one to the list. I get to P&C occasionally, but generally get confused by the multitude of blends available and just revert to getting something I've already tried!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Penzance is really not hard to come by, as I just got 7 of the 8oz bags last week with just a few phone calls, but no one seems to want to put out the effort of making a few calls around to the online retailers. I've got another 4 coming as well. All you have to do is make some calls. :wink:
You can try "Quiet Nights" by G.L. Pease, which is in the same flavor family, and would be a definite substitute. There was a thread on here last year which is a mirror image of this one. Al has already mentioned Larry's Blend. Some people like Plum Pudding as well, as it has a similar flavor. Ten to Midnight to me is just a little too strong to have that smoothness of Penzance, but not bad at all.
But....Penzance is unique, and that's what I love about it.

bigmike

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
There is no substitute for Penzance. You either like it or you don't.....I happen to be one of those that does like it, thanks to Dave....... :puffy:

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
We might have to get an automatic Thread insertion software device that will annually renew the original thread Bubba started last year.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I find that SG Balkan Flake and Brebbia Latakia Flake #9 are very similar....
I agree with Hobie that you just have to be diligent. I just picked up bag of Penzance and 2 bags of Stonehaven last week............ :P

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Not a fan of Penzance, so I can't comment on any substitutes, but I do echo what Hobie said.
All you have to do is make some calls.
I found Dunbar, Dorchester and 6 tins of FVF about three weeks ago when everyone else was supposedly sold out. Just takes a little time to check around.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I have never smoked the two back to back to really compare, but C&D's Bow Legged Bear always reminded me a lot of hat Penzanace style. It's a qualit crumble cake with a lot of dynamic flavors to it.
Looking forward to trying 10 to Midnight. Got my 8oz tin on the way!

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Like everyone says, you sit watching Oprah all day=no results. Or get out and "Just Do It" and reap the benefits of sh!tloads of work.
The early bird gets the worm. etc. :mrgreen:
The Penzance Pickers get all the pleasure.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I called my 1 local tobacco shop every Friday, now they just call me when they get it in. Never get more than 1 bag or a few tins at once, but I never run out.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Daaaamn. You canadian pipe smokers need a second job just to be able to smoke a pipe lol XD

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I bought a couple of ounces of a store blend when I was up in Canada a few weeks back and it came to something like $30. I'm quite glad I don't have to pay those prices every day!

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Have you guys noticed that aging Penzance makes a difference in its quality?

What about tinned vs. bulk?
A buddy of mine gave me some from a jar he's had around for years and it was SPECTACULAR. Then I got my own from a year-old tin and it just was not/ still is not good. What gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.