PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsilentp

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
A mary land
Hello Fellow Pipe Forum Participants,
I am new to the pipe game but have begun to develop a taste profile of tobaccos I like. I am a big fan of McClelland Red Cake. I prefer it to most of the other Virginias that I have tried.
Being a newbie I am not sure what type of Virginia Red Cake is. I also do not know of other tobaccos I should try based on my like of this blend.
I need your help. I appreciate any information and guidance you sages of briar and smoke can provide.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
One part is easy to answer, it's a straight red virginia and it's a very common virginia in a number of blends. Red's are particularly high in sugars and thus, sweet tasting.
The main issue you'll find though is that McClelland virginias are pretty distinctive. They tend to taste lighter and sweeter (and lower in nicotine) than alot of other virginias out there.
My first suggestion would be to stay in-house and try some of the tinned offerings from McClelland. Their Matured Virginias #22, #27, and Christmas Cheer would be similar. The second suggestion is to by more Red Cake and put in a mason jar. In 6 months or more, you'll find it's a different smoke.

mrsilentp

Lurker
Oct 24, 2013
A mary land
Thank you JGriff,
That was the kind of information I was looking for. I do like the Virginia blends I have had from McClelland compared to other Virginias that I tries (Golden Slice, SG Full Virginia Flake).
I will check them out.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Try McCranie's Red Ribbon or Red Flake, available only from them. You might also enjoy Benjamin Hartwell Signature, which is more widely available. Both excellent blends.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Looked at Red Ribbon on the tobacco review site. Several people mentioned that it was rubbed out sufficiently finely to perhaps plug the pipe. That has to be very finely rubbed I would think. Anyone here have any experience with this (I would guess)?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Cigrmaster, I have heard folks say that. I have not smoked 5100,so I don't know. I do know that Red Ribbon is a single crop Virginia; 5100 does not make that claim. (I really should try some 5100.) (I often wonder what people use to justify such claims - did someone from the company tell them that? Or are they just running off at the mouth? I wonder if it arose from somebody saying, "Well, if you want a bulk that is similar to RR, get some 5100 Red Cake." )

I can comment a bit on RR, since I have smoked a lot of it, and have a lot more in my cellar. Since it is a single crop, batches differ from year to year. The original batch was 1983; I never smoked any of it, but I have heard that it was very good. I have smoked a lot of the 1996, which is the second iteration, both fresh and with 5 years aging on it. (I have a tin of the latter in my rotation right now; I set it aside in 2008.) It's very good both ways, but I find that it is mellower - not quite so sharp - with 5 years on. I enjoy it more with some age on it.

I have also smoked the 2000 vintage, fresh - I haven't smoked it aged, yet, but there are some tins in the cellar. I found that this batch, fresh, was like the 1996 batch, aged. I am anxious to see what it is like with 5 or more years on it.

The 2000 batch is gone; they are now selling the 2008 batch. I've got some of that in the cellar; I did not try a fresh tin.

I have never had any problems with it plugging a pipe, nor have I heard that before.

I am not primarily a Virginia smoker, so I don't smoke a ton of this, but I do smoke it pretty regularly. It's a very good blend, and the folks at McCranie's are great to deal with. Their Murdock's Pipe, another tin-only blend, is another long-time favorite, and their bulk Highland Mixture (a medium Balkan) is a more recent addition to my rotation.

amiller

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
One of the nice things about 5100 is the simplicity of it. Most other red virginias are much more complex (which I usually like, but I like the simplicity of 5100 too), and they tend to have more bite than 5100. I love red virginias but find many of them completely unbearable because of their bite. That said, I love love love 5100.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
The other nice part about 5100 is that it can be smoked by itself but it's also a blending tobacco. It's easy to adjust or add it to other blends to sweeten them up (or to keep Harris out of your stash. I plan to sprinkle some on his Stonehaven and see how quickly he floods the market with his cellared supply).

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Try some 5100, Red Cake, with a pinch of Perique added, I like it at a 16% Perique mixture. With a little age it mellows into a fruity note with a bit of spice.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Cornell & Diehl makes a Virgina Red Ribbon cut called "Red Virginia Ribbon" High-grade Old Belt red Virginia, ribbon cut; no more, no less.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/cornell-diehl/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=135020

plumbersdope

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
I havent tried McClelland Red cake yet but its on the list. One of my all time favorite red's and isnt mentioned much is Fribourg & Treyer Blackjack. A very lovely Red Virginia.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
Jud, I had heard that the McCranie's Red Ribbon is the exact same thing as 5100 Red Cake, what do you think?
This is oft-repeated, but not the case. Just like how 2015 bears some resemblance to St. James Woods, and 2035 to Dark Star.
In the 5100/Red Ribbon case, I'd say they definitely do have their own characters, with each expression of the McCranie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake offerings (1983, 1996, 2000, and 2008, so far) crafted with a single crop's leaf -- whereas the 5100 is designed to maintain a certain flavor profile over the years. Also, based on personal inspection over the years, I think the McCrainie leaf is of a higher grade, with the 5100 being... well, more of a bulk offering. Nothing wrong with that; 5100 is a terrific value. For Virginia connoisseurs, the best answer is to buy both. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.