PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I've been smoking for about 7 years and just ventured into the English blends the last year. They are kind of hit or miss for me, but my absolute favorite blend all around is Mississippi River by SPC. I would only buy and smoke that, but they run out of it so much. Does anyone have any blends that compare?
I'm not sure if it's the red virginias or the pressing into the cake that makes it so unique, but there's gotta be a comparison, right?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What is it you like about Mississippi River? Remind us of what's in the blend. English blends are so varied and individual that it's hard to recommend them unless I know what you're liking about the blend you have. The choices are so wide. Stratfordshire from C&D seems almost a different family from Dunhill MM 965, or those two from Nat Sherman 536, let alone Nightcap. Zero us in a little, and I think members will have some ideas for you. Lat? Orientals? Does the cut matter a lot or a little? Perique? Burley?

Mar 1, 2014
The first time I had some Mississippi River it reminded me of Presbyterian because of the sour note (kind of like sour cream, not lemon sour).

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
My suggestion is to order more of it (when avaiable) and cellar it. One of my favorites as is SPC Plum Pudding!
j/B

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you can't find any missippi river or plum pudding, luckily I have over a pound of each, there's always penzanze for a good english or Germains special latakia flake. :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Medium to mild English, two other possibilities: GLP Westminster, and Sutliff Private Reserve Westminster. You might also like Altadis Fox and Hound and the ever popular McClelland Frog Morton series.

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
I guess what I like about it is that I get a "peppered steak" feel from it. I suppose it's a "heavy" smoke. Not sure if any of those make sense. But I love the blend.
@frozenchurchwarden ... I've never gotten a "sour cream" note from it until you said that. Now I get hints of it and I love it!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I haven't yet tried Miss. River (got some, just haven't gotten around to opening yet) but from your description it sounds like Hearth and Home's Larry's blend might scratch your itch.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I smoke SPC MR daily and the only thing that has come close for me is SPC Plum Pudding, which usually isn't out of stock on pipesandcigars, but is as of today. There is however SPC MR back in stock - only 2 and 1 oz tins. Good luck...I'm half the reason they are always sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.