PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Anyone with an opinion on silver spigot pipes please share it. I have never owned one but have seen some over the years that I was interested in. I am particularly interested if the connection loosens over the years so that the stem does not seat firmly. Is there an advantage to them other than looks?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I own a few of these, with my oldest dating to 1907.
I am particularly interested if the connection loosens over the years so that the stem does not seat firmly.
No, it does not. It's a friction join, just like a military bit, or any mortise/tenon joint. One advantage that a spigot has is that both the stem and shank are clad with metal, and with a full spigot, the metal sheath wraps around the inside of the shank along the mortise walls. The fit is metal against metal. This makes the join a bit stronger than a military bit and less prone to splitting the shank due to operator error. The other advantage is that the pipe can be broken down for packing or storage and the fit will always be perfect. Looks pretty nice as well.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I haven't found a down side either. I have a Becker and Musico silver spigot and a Peterson gold spigot.
Looove them.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Sable pointed out the major benefits of a spigot pipe. The beauty of this fitment also shows that the pipes are usually a higher grade and very attractive IMO. Even when the metals are a bit tarnished they show a wonderful patina and class. Go for it, there are endless variety of spigots from many makers.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The only thing I don't like about having silver on my pipes is the issue of keeping them clean and bright. They tarnish very easily and it is a pain keeping the clean. I do use the white Mr Clean pads on them but they really need a cleaning after almost every bowl.

In terms of the spigot style, I have never had a problem with it loosening or not functioning as they should. I do not own a spigot right now and probably would not buy one anytime soon. I am a lazy s.o.b.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have two British spigots and just wipe a little silver polish on them every couple of months, 10 seconds of light rubbing and they are brilliant again.
Smoking a silver spigot definitely feels a little decadent.
The only downside I could offer is they might be several grams heavier due to the extra metal work. Mine and weights below.
Ferndown Tudor Root (2 Star) - 62 grams

James Upshall B Grade - 50 grams (this full bent easily passes a cleaner!)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There are a couple of products I have used that are easy, as they are cloths or fibre impregnated with silver cleaner/polish. Should last through a number of smokes. One is called "Cape Cod" with a bunch of French words, the other I cannot locate right now.
OTOH, I love cleaning spigots, so you know where to send 'em. :) Or I could send some $$, and.....

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The pros? Silver-fitted pipes are both gorgeous and rugged.
The cons? None, really. Keeping sterling shiny only takes a small piece of paper towel and reasonably strong fingers. (The manufacturers of paper towels incorporate micro-abrasives by design, and it's almost as if they are chemically treated when it comes to silver.) No muss, no fuss, and ESPECIALLY no chance of staining the wood.
Or, if you don't mind having to wash your hands afterward, a pinch of cigar ash and your fingers is all it takes. It won't stain the wood, either.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
I have two Silver spigot - they are rugged good smokers.

The design is also an example that adds to the complexity of the probable design of a good smoker:

Quite a few makers and collectors advocate the idea of airway (from draft-hole to mouthpiece button) uniformity prevents gurgling during the smoke - the Spigot design definitely has the junction being not uniform at all.

spartanfan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2013
Interesting read. I do not currently have one but have wondered about many of the same things mentioned here. I have always been concerned that the joint would not be flush inside and possibly create to much turbulence but of course there are those that say such things are not that important - to each there own on such polarizing issues.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Quite a few makers and collectors advocate the idea of airway (from draft-hole to mouthpiece button) uniformity prevents gurgling during the smoke - the Spigot design definitely has the junction being not uniform at all.
Of the five spigots that I own, none gurgle, all draw easily, and none come apart unless I pull them apart. Military bits are not as secure. Of course, all of mine are Barlings, and those folks kinda knew a little bit about engineering a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good discussion. Like the points about the efficient friction joint metal-to-metal, and the requisite cleaning. These are a little grandiose looking for me, but I'd never say never.

I have a Ferndown with a spigot that is silver on silver, but most of my pipes have some metal on them. As a jeweler, it makes me a little sick to read that someone would use a cream or liquid polish on them. It does keep me busy when people use that crap, but most repairs to jewelry can be avoided by just using a polishing cloth. A few wipes of the cloth removes any polish with ease and speed, but the creams and liquids dissolves way too much metal. I have to rebuild settings where this stuff has been used all day long. If you use it on your pipes, it wont be long before you will have eaten away a significant amount of the metal. Plus, the mess... I advice just using a polishing cloth. It will make your life much easier and make your pipes last so much longer.
The polishing cloth is also excellent for polishing all stem materials. I wipe down all of my pipes (metal or not) with a polishing cloth before returning them to the rack. And, all of my pipes look shiny and new without effort or machines.

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
@Cosmic - I've been using polishing cloths since you mentioned them some months ago and they work great on my spigots, etc. Thank you as I'd never heard of them. I assume I can use them on my Dhill gold spigot if I need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.