PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
So I was poking around the internets and I found a Dunhill branded silicone impregnated cloth for use on pipes. Well, I realized that I have a Hoppe's 9 silicone cloth in my gun box that I barely use (I use a lot of Remoil for cleaning and upkeep) and so I dug it out and it appears to be the same thing. I wiped down one of my old beater pipes and WOW! It made a world of difference. Is anyone else using one of these?

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I use briar pipe wipe on a cloth. I think it's probably the same thing. Glad you found a new way to shine your pipes.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Haha ok I was wondering about these I work for Big 5 sporting goods and I thought about using this but wasn't sure. They sure are cheap enough. Might have to pick one up now, although still curious about using sno-seal that I posted in my "stripping naked..." thread.

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
If the cloth is intended for the stock and forstock I'd go with it. On the other hand if the wipe is made to protect the blued finish I'd definitely think twice before I'd use it.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Thought I'd revive this thread and see what folks are using to wipe their pipes with.
I've got a small stable of 30 or so restored/refurbed estates with everything from garden variety drugstore smokers up to Peterson's, Savanelli's and a couple of Dunhills.
The more I smoke em I notice that they all eventually start to dull.
I don't want to keep shinin em up on the buffer and would really like to find a solution for a daily/weekly wipe.
I've noticed that P&C has a Decatur Pipe Shield cloth for sale
https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/decatur-pipe-shield-polishing-cloth-pipe-accessories/1491261/#p-171402
For around $8.00
Anyone else have any experience with these?
Are there better options out there?
Thanks
Dino

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Funny to see this dragged up. I posted a thread maybe a year ago asking about using a silicone gun cloth to wipe down pipes and the resounding response from the members was "DONT DO IT".
As to your question about what others are using, I generally use nose oil and my t-shirt.
The cloth you posted a link to, I have no idea, never used one. I don't know if they are impregnated with the same stuff that the gun cloths have in them or not.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I'm surprised that folks don't use something like linseed oil or some other oil that would protect the finish without damaging the briar or messin with the smoking qualities of the pipe.
Obviously, one would need to ensure nothing found its way inside the bowl.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I hear ya Cosmic.
My problem is that I'm somewhat emotionally invested in these little beauties, being as I've reamed, cleaned, sanitized and restored em all. It kind hurts my feelins to see em sittin there not as shiny as they once were. :(

This is what I use:
8ef10092-7b90-4d7c-b17b-71d849eb6ed0_1.59e6218a1f05bc31c6ed73049c55e691.jpeg

One in my gun cleaning kit, the other in my tobacco cabinet. Don't want to get Break Free on the briar.....

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've used both Tung Oil and Liquid Gold to good effect. Wood is wood and this stuff really brings the life back with no harm that I've seen to the smell or taste of the pipe or smoke and without having to coat it in wax. Both of the above replenish natural oils lost in wood whereas silicone is not.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I impregnated a flannel cloth with butcher block conditioner made by Howard. It is food grade mineral oil stabilized with vitamin E, beeswax, and carnauba wax. It is a fairly viscous liquid and found at home depot 12oz bottles. Rehydrates briar but does not give you the hard shine of a buffer 3 way application with Tripoli, etc. It is all I use.

Oct 7, 2016
This thread reminded me of Briar Wipe. Best thing I ever used. Just saturate a HandiWipe with it, lasts essentially forever. My old one is long gone, but I rummaged around a closet, and lo and behold I had the aerosol can I bought 30+ years ago! Still mostly full. Next time I go to the store, I will buy some HandiWipes and see if it is still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.