PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
Show off your cutty! And no, that is not a euphemism ;)
I actually don't have one myself, but I am in the market for one, preferably in the double digits. I think we'd all love to see what's out there. And I'd love to read about where I could get a reasonably priced one, as I have had some trouble...
Personally, I love the shape of this Genod cutty: http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=DW&item=gen7f1

But, that's about all I like. I could do without the silver and I certainly could do without that outrageous price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a shape I don't have. The Genod is a beauty, and I think French pipes are generally excellent, quality

well beyond their price points, usually. I've seen some cutty's at a more mid-level price; I'll speak up if I can

remember who had them.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Don't know if this qualifies as a cutty, probably more of a canted billiard, but I do like it a lot. Chacom 2011 Pipe of the Year, and not a real small pipe either. Got mine used from Mkelaw Pipes, and it was like new. Dave is great to work with too. Cost about half of what they go for new, which is pretty fair to begin with. I think Iwan Ries still has some in stock, for about half of what the other pipe you're looking at goes for. But then again, is it enough of a cutty for you?

Sorry, crappy pic of nice pipe on a crappy stained rag.
img_00061-600x450.jpg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Well I am going to add my 2 cents worth here! Cutty pipes are styled after the clay pipe which normally has the little foot rest on the bottom of the bowl. I think it was an Italian or French shower who made a wonderful copy in Briar and was marketed as the style of clay smoked by that foreign fellow who painted sun flowers - I think his name was Van something or other. Anyway somewhere on this site are pictures of many meerschaums owned by me in the 'cutty' style as I have been buying them for thirty odd years. That being said the pipe in the picture is wonderful and if I smoked briars I would certainly buy one. The style of pipe was designed to take about 1/3rd of the amount of tobacco smoked in todays pipes and this was probably due to the fact it was black twist or such. Thank you for sharing this interesting link.

Mar 31, 2014
I checked out your meerschaums and they look awesome. That wasn't an option that I had thought of before, so thanks condorlover1.
And speaking of clays, this guy right here is another good example of a cutty. http://www.pipeshoppe.com/ps_p2002.php

If only I could find this in briar..

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010

It's a custom pipe made for me by Bob Hayes (www.bobhayespipes.com) I have 21 of his custom made pipes. Tell him Captain Bob sent you!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Claypipe I have been smoking clays for ever. You really need to buy the ones with the 'tip' or red glaze so they don't stick to your lip as that causes lip cancer. The other issue is 'pipe notches' or wear on the teeth where you clench the pipe and wind up with a circular hole in your teeth from gripping the pipe there over many years. I just saw an archeology report that involved moving a mid nineteenth century cemetery in London and some 80% of the skulls had signs of pipe notches!

Mar 31, 2014
Condorlover1:
Thanks for the tip about the tip! I smoke a clay pipe and was not aware of that.
Actually, it is my archaeological education and information like you mentioned that started me up on pipe smoking. I'm no clay pipe expert, but clay pipe bowls found in digs are excellent relative-dating-systems.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I love cutty pipes. For some reason, I'm drawn to the cutty shape more than any other pipe style.

This my Victorian era meerschaum.

I'm hoping to find more meer cuttys, perhaps in a church warden style. Hoping to be able to afford one of the Stanwell HCA cuttys soon.

I've had a couple clay cuttys too. Curious though, how does the clay sticking to your lip cause cancer??

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Organize that it a very nice meerschaum 'cutty' I would assume it is about 7" long. Who is the maker as the foot on your pipe is different from the norm and I do not have one of that style in my collection. Does the bit have the threaded bone piece that fits directly into the meerschaum stem? They can give trouble and I have just mailed a couple of pipes off to the pipe hospital for exactly that reason.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@fadingdaylight.

I don't think bentmike would mind me stepping in and answering your question. The other thing in his pic is a bullet starter for a black powder muzzleloader. You use it to get a round ball/conical bullet started down the muzzle of the gun before you use the ramrod.

Status
Not open for further replies.