PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
The Chimney, also known as the stack :wink:, is by far my favorite shape. Great for smoking flakes in the fold and stuff style. I have a number of different shapes, but the Chimney shape is my only ditto. There is something commanding about them. I guess that's why General MacArthur had them fashion one out of a corncob.
Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to see some variations of the Chimney pipe shape in a Pipe Talk thread. I know I'd love to see some...
Here are a couple of mine:
The first is a Poul Olsen Handmade (if anyone could tell me more about these Poul Olsen pipes, I'd appreciate it). This is a great knock around pipe. I take it camping, fishing, cutting grass. I've managed to chew a hole in the stem, but it still smokes great. Although, I'm planning to have it replaced.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=67494
My second one is a Stanwell Hand Made. Just ordered it; and apparently I got myself a real collector’s item. I told myself that I didn't need another pipe, but I couldn't resist when I saw it. The price was right, it has a vulcanite stem, and by the way, it's a Chimney!
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=123601
Like I said, the Poul Olsen is one of my best smokers; and I hope the Stanwell stands up to its name as well (pun intended).
Looking forward to seeing some others.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
That's a nice looking Chimney Roth. I would have loved to have seen that Ashton. I imagine it's something like Dunhill's classic English style...assuming the Chimney is native to the English style pipe shapes. Although, mine are both from Denmark and both are handmade too. Those Danish pipe makers sure can shape a beautiful Chimney.
Here is one of my all-time favorites by Danish pipe maker, Anne Julie:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/denmark/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=67733
They are beautiful, but they cost a GRIP! I'll just have to admire them from a far...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't have a chimney, but I have a deep-bowled poker which I like a lot, but I am still learning how to get

a full smoke down into the bowl without getting bite. It seems like really deep bowls tend to get more unburned

tobacco/dottle, or at least, it takes some practice in packing and smoking these pipes to get full use of the

tobacco. I'd stick with your more ordinary blends before you load up with Frog or 965.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Yeah mso489, Chimneys can be difficult. One sure fire way to avoid tongue bite is to smoke slowly. That's pretty much the answer to a lot of things for me.
Packing is another issue. I primarily smoke flakes in my Chimneys. So I just fold and stuff one or two flakes. I also expect to relight often. I am getting much better; no more than two to three relights, and those come at the bottom of the bowl. This is where that dottle comes in. To help fix it, I use a Zippo pipe lighter with my Chimneys. The flame is a bit larger and it easily draws to the bottom of the bowl. I can finish every bit of tobacco this way.
Now if I'm smoking something rubbed out, packing becomes more important for me. I gravity fill, i.e. sprinkle the tobacco into the bowl until it overflows. I do my three presses: baby finger, lady finger, thumb. Two false lights, 10-15 minutes apart. True light. Then I'm off and puffin.
Seems to work for me nearly every time.
Cheers

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Were it not for the egg shaped bulge in the rear of the bowl this pipe would be a chimney, or stack, the bowl stands 3", it's a lovely sitter and weighs in at just under 2 1/2 ozs on my postal scale, by Rolando Negotia is this Atelier.
9314355590_8ae28f3cd4_c.jpg

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Wow, Fishnbanjo! That is one interesting pipe. I think you're right; this could be classified as a stacked egg, so to speak. I've seen stacked Dublins and Billiards, of course, but nothing like this. Thanks for sharing. And keep 'em coming fellas!

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Left to right: il Ceppo (more of a stack), (no name) Turkish block, Peterson (POY2016); All 9mm.

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
There pretty tall. I made these so I could just drop flakes into the pipe and smoke. The problem is finding time to smoke them. I made an adapter for the first one to raise the bottom of the bowl to bout half way. This way I don't have to fill it up completely.
I love the look of chimneys/towers. I hope to see some more pictures posted on this thread.
Kiel

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
I like this shape and here I can see some beautiful pipes.

The only chimney I have is this reverse calabash I made some time ago. It smokes really good.

HnXaIU5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.