Shouldn't you be informed if only half your order is shipping?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I placed an order with P&C and a day later received a shipping notice. I eagerly awaited the package and when it arrived today, it seemed awfully small considering what I had ordered. Much to my chagrin, half my order was indeed missing. Is it their standard policy to simply ship your order and not say anything about back ordered product? Will they simply ship it when it arrives? If it's months later how does this work with PayPal's policy on back ordered merchandise? Don't mean to be a complainer, just curious if there was any feedback.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Still awaiting response. Just curious about you folks experience since I know a lot of people order from P&C here.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
I have had items shipped months later that I completely forgot about. I know I have been waiting on some Solani for over a year and checked all the usual places and can't find who I originally ordered with. So I guess the order gets dropped eventually. Shouldn't get billed until it ships but I thought I remember being notified of backorder status at checkout.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Everything was showing in stock at time of checkout and I know I have been charged the full amount, since the money has already exited my account. I wouldn't necessarily mind waiting but I was under the impression that is against PayPal policies for vendors.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'll just call them if I don't get an email by morning. Waiting for it to come in is fine but then I remembered PayPal's policy. I do want to know the details of the status and switch payment methods if necessary and thought someone might have run into the same scenario. I would have appreciated a quick email but to their credit, the items that were in stock did leave that same day.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
i have never used paypal, but this has happened a few times to me especially when there is a run on something due ot a sale. they ship what they ahve and ship the rest later. I think once I got three different boxes for one order.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've had back orders twice. I received notification via invoice on product recv'd. I also got the back ordered merch within a relatively short time. No shipping charges for bo's. (no Chinese cob to assuage emotional miscreants, either)

I hope you resolve this issue w/o rancor, as I'm a fan of P&C, and their pricing.

First, if this happened to me, and I was concerned, I would have called immediately. You are more likely to get royal treatment for your concern this way, than an email or whatever. The times that I have called, I have had more than fair treatment by their phone people.
The only time I did not receive notification that only part of my order was being shipped was when the second half could be fulfilled and mailed out the very next day. I have received one package one day and the rest a day or two latter.
When something has to await back-order, then I am usually notified. But, it is always a pleasant surprise when I do get it. Although, it's no fun when I am explaining to my girlfriend that we can't afford that particular fancy restaurant because I am strapped that month, and then a package with twelve pounds of tobacco arrives that afternoon. Those nights I usually end up trying to explain that I had paid for it months ago, but usually I just end up alone with my pipe in my hands, ha ha. :puffy:

portalhq

Lurker
Aug 22, 2014
I recently ordered a pound of tobacco from P&C and only got about 5 oz. Called customer service, they were very nice, I explained situation and within a couple of days a package arrived with, gee 1 oz of tobacco. *facepalm*
My next bulk tobacco order was placed somewhere else.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually, I get good communications on orders, when they're received, when they're shipped, and

if anything is on back order. I've only been charged for what's shipped, and I've been given a chance

to cancel on anything not in stock. Sometimes during sales, when things get hectic, this system breaks

down, but usually the goods arrive and all is well, soon. In general, service online is pretty good.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Similarly, I also receive emails from P&C whenever an order status changes. Sometimes, however, the notifications lag well behind the status change. For example, I've received shipping notifications after the package has arrived. But, in general, they keep me up to date on what's happening with my order.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm very happy with the P&C people. I've received partial orders many times because some of it was back ordered. It would be nice to get email when that happens though. I go often to my online account after an order to see if any part of it was back ordered. One time I got 9oz of a pound many weeks after the first 7oz came. We need to take into account how hard it is for a seller to keep a consistent stock I think.
tinner :?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Okay, it appears I was refunded via PayPal for the portion not shipped. I think in the future I will use my Credit Card so that if the situation arises again, it can just function like a standard back order. Lesson learned on my part, I hadn't thought about that in terms of PayPal's policy.

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I try to corner the market on escudo whenever I place an order...the consequence being, parts of most orders are usually backordered...as such, I always seem to receive the right email notifications at the right times letting me know where things are.
I've had no problems with them.

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Call them. I've bought from them for over ten years. Occasionally a problem, always resolved with a telephone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.