Should I return this newly purchased pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Hi all,
I just received a Big Ben bulldog as part of the P&C build your own deal. I haven't smoked it yet, and here's why. It is nearly impossible to pass a pipe cleaner through the bore of the mouthpiece. I like the pipe quite a bit, and I would really like to exchange it for another one, but here's my hesitation: With a manufacturer like Big Ben, do you think this is a flaw in this particular pipe, or will they all come unable to pass a cleaner? Here's the thread with a picture of the pipe in questions: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/new-order-from-pampc
Edit: Here's the BB:
m8im94.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It will pass the cleaner, right? Try bending the very end of the cleaner just a bit. When the cleaner stops as you push, twist a bit. This works more times than not for me. The wee bend helps the cleaner feed into the bowl.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I order Falcon cleaners for the pipes that have heavy bends and for those with thin stems. The Falcon cleaners are very narrow and save the day!

Jan 8, 2013
Its got a pretty deep bend, I am honestly not too suprised that it has trouble passing the cleaner. Being a Big Ben, is a 9mm? If so, an adapter might help.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A lot of bent pipes won't pass a pipe cleaner, so Warren's solution is the best work-around.

If the stem's orifice is too small, then I would drill it out a little to increase the diameter.

BTW, don't use power tools to do this. Just hand held drills, reamers, or files.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
SamCoffeeMan is right. I should elaborated, or clarified. I used the thinnest cleaner I had, and struggled to get the cleaner in at all. It's the opening in the stem that the cleaner wont pass through, the little rectangular slit in the stem mouthpiece. I didn't want to damage it, so I didn't force it.
ayn5mr.jpg

I just pull the stem out, come on, no big deal. The devil was not conjured and the pipes are in excellent condition. It kills me how grown men at the B&M will cringe like I just took the Lord's name in vain when I take my pipe apart. I've been doing it since I started smoking a pipe and I've not ever ever ever had an issue, and no one has ever been able to explain to me this Voodoo physics that makes materials expand and contract at different rates but only when separated. Even Fred Hannah in the Perfect Smoke mentions how stupid this superstition is.

Or maybe it's that some people just have no idea how to pull the tenon out in the first place.
edit: LOL, crap, there were a bunch of posts before I got mine sent off. LOL. If a cleaner just doesn't go in at all, yeh, send it back, lol.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
For a factory pipe, it has quite a good grain. Ask at P&C if you could send it in for opening up or fitting a new stem.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I have several pipes like that. Can't you just take the stem off and pass the pipe cleaner through the other side? If the pipe smokes well I'd just enjoy it as it is.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Okay here is your fix. You will be able to keep pipe and it will smoke great for you!

1. Take stem off

2. preheat oven/toaster oven to about 300

3. put your table salt on cookie sheet, the put your stem on top and cover with salt compleatly.

4. let heat up to bend about 5 min. Bend it straight and let it cool down (can run under water)

5. run a drill bit tenon side first slowly and gently.

6. put back in salt to reheat and rebend
Be sure to add 1-2 pipe cleaners through it, this will keep hole open. And give you something to hold on to.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You've got a lot of meat on that button, pass a cleaner from the opposite end of stem and if it goes in easy and starts to hang up at button you can take a small drill bit and by hand open it up. I've had to do this with several pipes. Do this from button end .

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses!! It does have a wonderful grain, that was another of my concerns of sending it back. I think I'll try to open up the end of the mouthpiece slightly, I'm sure I would end up spending more on shipping than filing a little of the hole away myself. Thanks for the suggestion Old Cajun, SamCoffeeMan and DrWatson. I'll try to post some pics of the before and after.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
As others have said, it's your call as to whether "passing a pipe cleaner" is a deal-breaker for you or not. It wouldn't be for me. I have Dunhills and older Comoys that won't pass a pipe cleaner! It doesn't mean a thing to me, as I only rarely will run a cleaner through while smoking. And "while smoking" is the only time this would be an issue, right? I mean, otherwise, you're just removing the stem to do a cleaning.
Bob

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Yup. That is exactly my experience. I have a set of needle files I use to open the Draft hole so the pipe cleaners will go in more smoothly. You can purchase them for $4 Here on Ebay if you don't own a set already. Then you can fix the problem. Or just send it back. Your choice.
whether or not you use them on this pipe.. a set of needle files come in handy all the time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have considered getting a Big Ben in the past, assuming that Dutch engineering would be well neigh

perfect. The pipes are pricey but handsome. Now I'm not so inclined.

Status
Not open for further replies.