Should I Jar a Bufflehead Tin Soup Can? Or Let It Be...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I have a 2005 8oz tin (sin soup can) of Bufflehead brown flake. I understand some of these have the tobacco bagged in plastic and Im curious if I should open it and jar it or just leave it be. Its been in the can for 12 years now so it might be a moot point.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
Yeah now I realize this was kind of a dumb question .. haha
Well as the only who replied would you like a sample when I do??

paddypiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I'm with the other two. I would open it, keep a bit out to smoke, and jar the rest. And I'd like to say I'm not looking for any free samples.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I would open it, smoke some and jar the rest.
Now, where's my free tobacco?!?! :nana:
YEs! In light of our spirited Hobbits weed debate ill send you some as well!! Thats one of the things I like about this forum, folks can have a discussion about things. Some forums people get all bent out of shape if everyone's opinions don't exactly line up :puffy:
Might take me a week to get to them since its my busy time of the year but Im always open to sharing. IM trying to work a trade on a tin of King Eider right now... PM me your info, you too jpmcwr - if you want some :)
Which blend is it? I've smoked a few of their blends, I thought they all were named after waterfowl species.
SO did I, this one literaly just says "Brown flake" its from 2002. Thats why I bought it, my curiosity was piqued!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It depends if you trust the packaging as is and whether you favor anaerobic fermentation. The packaging if compromised may have admitted air to the contents with consequent loss of moisture and flavor. But purists will say that opening the container disturbs the anaerobic mode and cite an unopened container as the classic example of aging. Those who don't mind asking the tobacco to shift back and forth between aging with and without air will say that that they want to smoke some now. In any case if the container is sound today doesn't mean that it will remain so, so periodic rechecks are necessary. Jars are always the best aging containers; when you check your tins retighten the lids.

May 4, 2015
Ha, very kind but completely unnecessary. I was kidding, of course. Honestly, I have so much open right now that I need to get to, I'm afraid of how long it would sit until I got to it! Thank you for the offer, though!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you for the kind offer, but I will pass, mostly on the grounds that no more is available being produced, and I don't want to lust after something I can't get at a reasonable price.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
SO did I, this one literaly just says "Brown flake" its from 2002. Thats why I bought it, my curiosity was piqued!
Interesting.......... I've not heard of that one, and no sign of it on tobacco reviews.......... let us know how it smokes!.......... :puffy:

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
The fellow who owned Bufflehead Tobacco (I forget his name; sorry!) also used to custom-can other blends for a service fee in addition to the cost of various blends. In 2004 I had him do so for some McClelland 5100 before I began canning bulk blends in jars.

Is there a possibility that the tin of "Brown Flake" you have is not one of his own blends?

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Sounds exciting, I agree smoke some to try it out. Hopefully it will have aged OK then jar the rest.

Let us know how it smokes.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
not sure where my last post went, so ill retype it -
It very well might not be one of his blends. And yes I will smoke some soon and report back!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Since I was the seller, I can say emphatically that it was G&H Brown Flake that was tinned up by David Windsor (Bufflehead Owner/Proprietor). I can't count the times I've sold Bufflehead tinned up blends from other makers but it has been a bunch. David's own blends were, of course, outstanding and I sure do miss them!

Status
Not open for further replies.