PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Greetings all,

I'm consider the pipe on this link at Cup O' Joe: what do you think? http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=W&srch=KW&item=duncmb3110

I've been told that the cumberland tip will oxidize, which has me concerned. How long does such oxidation take? Is this an issue that I should be concerned with? Thanks for looking. Sparrowhawk

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
All rubber stems can oxidize. The trick is to keep it clean and polished. Obsidian oil works well. Cumberland stems look great on many pipes and Dunhills especially. Oxidation on stems takes time. It's is not an overnight thing if that is what concerns you. Essentially, the chemicals in the rubber react to moisture and air over time. It is a condition that can be remedied if it is not left alone too long.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Oh, I forgot, as a new member, I'm sure everyone will make me feel welcome and offer a donation so I can buy this pipe and the streets remain safe. . .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome pipe. I don't think the Cumberland stem is going to be any more trouble than

a regular Vulcanite which is still standard on many pipes. Just do the maintenance. If you can

afford it, I'd do it. It's a keeper. It will set your standards for pipes high, but just buy fewer but

better. If you need other pipes for rotation, go with MM cobs. People who have them seem to love

their Dunhills.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
This is my understanding of oxidation.

Sulphur and heat is used in rubber to increase its strength and resiliency. (Vulcanization)

Over time the sulphur migrates to the surface and that is what is referred to as oxidation.

It has to be physically removed....

However; Pipeguy, is correct that some products like Obsidian Oil can slow or disguise said oxidation.

One further anecdotal point; it is my opinion, that oxidation is more prevalent in softer, and older stems. Dr. Grabows and some of the other venerated American factory pipes are prone to oxidation, but the newer and higher quality stems don't suffer from it as much.

I have some 30+ year old pipes that have never shown any oxidation, those tend to "feel" harder and have a higher gloss, where the softer feeling stems tend to oxidize and don't shine as much.

IMHO

I own only one pipe with a "Cumberland" stem... It hasn't oxidized.

I like the pipe, but the "feel" of the stem isn't my favorite.

:puffy:

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
My answer would be no. Too much money for a pipe in my book.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Cup O' Joes just called me to say someone else had purchased that pipe earlier today. What rotten luck. (Say there, Cajun, with that two-fisted pipe you've got, a #3 would be absolutely puny.)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Sorry I don"t usually use abbreviations, it means in my humble opinion. I see that the Dunhills have climbed in price , I was thinking of estates, but it looks like the new pipes are sky high, look at MKLaw, Briar Blues, Marty Pulvars and St James pipes, maybe you want new, don"t know about that, all my Dunhills are old.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Being new to pipe collecting, I just have a few new pipes: a couple of Peterson "Dracula" pipes, a Brebbia, and a LaRocca Piccalo pocket pipe. One of the Petersons have what I suspect is a "pot," and is actually too big for me, and my best smoking pipe, ironically, is the LaRocca. It is a mighty good pipe given its size, and the bowl actually holds what I feel is just the right amount of tobacco. I don't think I could handle a jaw breaker like yours, Cajun!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I agree, of course, that the pipe is too expensive, but what new Dunhill isn't? Actually, this one is slightly lower in price because of the size, and as it turns out, I'm discovering I prefer a smaller bowl. One of my Petersons seems to be a "pot," and simply holds more tobacco that I can smoke at one sitting. Whereas the La Rocco pocket pipe and the Brebbia (which appears like a 4, but has a cone-shaped interior, meaning less size) contain just the right amount of tobacco. So I would probably be happy with the #3 Dunhill, if I can get it: the good people at Cup O' Joes are going to attempt to order another one for me. Besides, I'm still expecting donations from all you good aficionados...heh. Seriously, thanks to everyone for all the advice.

I have another question, one that I know is quite common; this is about "breaking in" a pipe. What does breaking in actually means, how does it change the pipe in terms of flavor and its character, and how long does the breaking in actually take? Any info anyone would care to mention about breaking in a pipe would be appreciated.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the link. This explains a lot (like why my little La Rocca seems to have broken in nearly instantly and provides the sweetest smoke of the three pipes I currently own, with another Peterson "Dracula" pipe on the way through the mail. The Peterson I have now seems to be taking forever to break in and I've been smoking it for about a week, two or three times a day.) Much, too, may be because of the type of tobacco smoked; I used to use Captain Black Gold, finding it milder than other store-bought tobaccos, but was amazed at the difference when I tried a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla. Far milder than the Black, which had been my "go to" tobacco. I'm open to suggestions about tobaccos, BTW--anything light and mild will work for me. (I once made the mistake of Middleton's cherry--I threw out the box after about three puffs.)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd check out Al Pascia. A number of Dunhill fans I know are very pleased with the pricing on Dunill and often times, the shipping to the US is faster than stateside vendors.

http://www.alpascia.com/group.asp?detail=14364

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
A thousand thank-you's for the Al Pascia link. I'll need to figure out how to translate currency from US dollars to EUs, but at least now there's a place where I can get the exact Dunhill I want. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.