PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
There's times mid bowl where it's starts to taste like I'm just smoking ash, not always but sometimes. Any rule of thumb regarding dumping ashes? Or should I not be doing it at all?

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
General rule is you should dump the ash if it's starting to restrict the draw when you tamp. You always want to leave some ash on top so that you can tamp it down and have an even light.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Sounds to me like you are packed too loose or not tamping enough.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
General rule is you should dump the ash if it's starting to restrict the draw when you tamp. You always want to leave some ash on top so that you can tamp it down and have an even light.

And if it is affecting your relight.

effektor

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2013
I've had that happen when the center burns through with tobacco still unburned around the sides. Sometimes I can fix it by tamping the sides in a bit and relighting as soon as I notice it. I figured it was just a bad pack or light. I only recall it happening on one or two of my pipes...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try ashing. Try tamping. Sometimes, you've burnt up the leaf, or most of it. See what

you have left and learn if there is substantial unburnt leaf or just a little dottle. Usually,

when the good taste stops, I empty the pipe and start again with a different pipe if I have

time. Usually there's little left to smoke. I consider a good taste experience the objective.

If I can burn a bowl to white ash, that's nice, but it's not a competition. Good taste is the

deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.