PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamaraewyn

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
Hi All.
I'm considering taking up the hobby of pipe smoking. I love the old world imagery of pipe smoking and the enforced 'downtime' that smoking a pipe creates.
However, I am a non smoker. I haven't always been though. I grew up in a smoking household and was a social smoker when out drinking with friends on and off for many years.Never got into cigar smoking (bad experiences from bad advice has turned me off them). I haven't touched a cigarette though for the last 3 years. Now I know that they add a whole bunch of nasty additives to cigarettes and pipe tobacco seems more 'pure'...
Basically, I'm interested in peoples opinions as to if I should take up the hobby.

Perhaps if there is any herbal (non tobacco, non marijuana based) mixes out there and If this would be any better starting point or not.
Thanks for any and all advice.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well it really comes down to you, but for what its worth, I was a non smoker as well. I now enjoy my pipe maybe once a month if I'm lucky. Healthwise, its all the same to me. I find I really enjoy the relaxation aspect of it all, and have come to appreciate a good pipe and tobacco blend.
If you feel it may trigger a relapse into cigarettes, then maybe take a step back. But for me, I am content with the pipe and don't crave anything else.
That said, it's a very personal decision. If you decide to stick with it, this is a great forum to ask questions and learn.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My vote is for 'yes' you should take up the hobby. The easiest way to find out if it's for you is to buy a couple cobs and a couple blends that sound good and give it a try. If it sticks it sticks, if it doesn't it doesn't. What do you have to lose? :puffy:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm getting that trolled feeling again.
Sure, break out the wallet and go for it. I've never found any "down time" in the pipe smoking. What exactly are you referring to? The 40 seconds it takes to fill and light? I can do that and never miss a lick with a chainsaw, the tractor, camera, etc. A bit more cumbersome than a cigarette possibly but, not much. And it certainly isn't a "hobby" in my case. I acknowledge smoking as a vice. A wee vice to be sure. I strongly believe everyone should have one, solid, selfish vice. It's good for the soul to have something totally self-serving in one's life.
The "herbal" part of the questions raises ... are you sure you want to enjoy the "benefits" of tobacco? Herbal tobacco?

Jan 8, 2013
That's a question only the "non smoker" can answer. Smoking of any form, whether pipes, cigars, or cigarettes is a personal choice not to be taken lightly. Only you can make that choice for yourself. If you so choose to do so, you've come to the right forum to learn more about the practice before making your decision. Stick around, read some posts, ask some questions, and if you still choose to take up pipe smoking there's plenty more information to be had here.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
What do you have to lose?
That's easy, a handful of dollars to, possibly, thousands of dollars a year depending on if and how well the habit gets imbedded.
I should add one's selected vice should be readily affordable so the kids don't have to wear hand-me-downs or miss a meal now and then. :puffy: Otherwise you aren't being simply selfish in your choice.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I once smoked 2 packs of Benson & Hedges Menthols per day. Coming up on my 12th Anniversary of not one puff since the date I quit. I quit everything at the time. Sold a considerable collection of pipes and tobacco (yes, that was a HUGE mistake in retrospect) as well as thousands of dollars of Cuban Cigars. 6 months later, I smoked a cigar to see if I could do so without craving a cigarette. I found out I could.
With that said, what good reasons do you have for picking up a smoking habit after all the years of abstinence? Were I your best friend, I believe I would recommend against it. However, you're a free Adult, you should do as you see fit.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Every smoker was a non smoker at some point.

The reasons to do it (or not do it) lies in each individual.
I started with cigarettes by sheer curiosity, and got really hooked. Never got pleasure out of it, but it was very calming.

Tired of smoking compulsively, I decided to give the pipe a serious try. I still got the calming sensation, but without cravings and a world of flavours.

At this point, I don't smoke cigs, love my pipes and enjoy a cigar every now and then. No regrets.
If I could start all over, I would definitely pick a pipe.

mamaraewyn

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
Thank you all.
I am a little scared of the call of nicotine as I've felt that pull before and watched many long time smokers struggle to quit. Having said that I have at least one coffee in the morning to stave off an afternoon headache :?
From what I've researched Herbal blends tend to have a mullein base instead of tobacco. I'm not sure if anyone has had experience with these.
I don't want to fork out too much money for it, of course not! It seems I can get everything I need to start on ebay for less than $30 (minus tobacco).

On that...
What tobacco blend would you recommend to a beginner? I know this is a triggering questions and I don't want to cause fights. Just honestly looking for opinions.

I'm Aussie, so that might limit my options... Again, so new I have no idea.
Thank you for answering me. I really do appreciate it.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
There are three big universes in pipe tobacco. Virginia blends, English blends and Aromatic blends.

I'd say get one of each, and start figuring out your taste.

Then you can explore the countless options and categories.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
The question of whether you should take up the pipe is a personal one which only you can answer.
As to a starting tobacco, I recommend you start with something rather mild. In my mind, Carter Hall is a great choice for a beginner. It is rather mild, doesn't have a high nicotine content, will not "bite" your tongue, easily lights, and has a nice tobacco flavor. Yes, it is what some call a codger blend because it has been around a long time, but, that in itself, should say something about it. Lastly, it is generally lower priced than the higher end blends. You can always venture out later, if you find you like the pipe. Only thing I do not know is whether it is readily available where you are.
Good luck, and keep us apprised of your journey.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It's idling on the ground but, after the load and light? The saw is fully revved and spitting wood, pipe is smoking, I'm smoking and the wildlife is running for cover.
Another round of "spruce beetle" is starting so I'll have to attack the "beetle kill" once again. I've had a five year respite. Damned beetles!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I would not bother with herbal blends. You truly don't know the risks and there are far fewer positives from a flavour perspective. Tobacco smoking is obviously not safe but nobody can truthfully say they were unaware of the risks at this point in history. It has been widely known for years that tobacco use can possibly damage one's health so obviously you have to go into pipe smoking with both eyes open and be honest about the effects.
I found it fairly easy to control and I stopped smoking my pipes cold turkey for a few years but I've always enjoyed the taste and smell of tobacco so simply wanted to start up again. Is that addiction? Not in the physical sense because there was no nicotine withdrawal after that length of time but certainly there is a long-lasting attachment to the practice of pipe smoking.
Just my personal opinion but I find casual pipe smoking better than cigarette smoking because a few bowls a week doesn't equal the sheer volume of smoking a pack a day habit brings, plus the inhalation is way down. Oral exposure to the smoke is obviously the biggest risk and internal absorption probably doesn't help the organs as a whole but it seems to spare the lungs quite a bit.
I also find pipe smoking much milder than cigar smoking which is often delivering much higher doses of nicotine and more harshness. My mouth and nasal passages are feeling pretty rough after smoking cigars but pipe smoke is much less irritating in my humble and unscientific anecdotal experience.
Don't even get me started on chewing tobacco. That stuff is pretty caustic and you can feel it burning a hole in the side of your cheek as soon as you start using it.
We are a tobacco forum so I doubt you'll get much advice about herbal mixtures. There is no real comparison so I'd stick with the real deal if you are going to try smoking a pipe. Determine if you have good enough willpower to control your smoking if you are concerned about the health consequences.

mamaraewyn

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
Thanks all again.
I've ordered a Corn Cob, Czech tool, filters (just in case), and a few blends that I've seen recommended and sounded nice. Now I just have to wait for the shipping from the US and to find out how much tax the govt is gonna slug me for bringing it to Australia 8O
I'll keep you all up to date :puffy:

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
What blends did you get?
Also, if you can, buy a briar. Don't limit yourself to the cobs. While wonderful in their own right, it's a completely different experience.

mamaraewyn

Lurker
Aug 14, 2018
What blends did you get?
I got 1oz 4noggins Butternut Burley and some Lane 1-Q Which I've heard is the beginner tobacco (many of the videos/websites I've looked at have started with it).
I went with a cob because it's something I can smoke 'out of the pack'. I don't have to bed it in to fully experience the flavour of the tobacco.
I can tell you now, If i enjoy the taste etc... I will amass a collection of pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.