PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atchisaw

Lurker
Jul 19, 2015
I travel frequently for work, and that usually involves staying on a ship (a small ship) for up to two weeks at a time. I've started bringing my pipe along to pass some time, but find the different tins I've bought can be a little cumbersome to handle on deck.
I've had my eye on some tobacco pouches, but I'm wondering if they would be good for keeping tobacco in for two weeks...
Does anyone have any insight or tips for traveling with tobacco? My preference is something small and light, a Mason Jar is a little bulky for my purposes.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Since you're going to be on the ocean (Yo Ho!) you probably won't have to worry about the tobacco drying out. I would hit a hardware store and see if you can find a compartmented plastic box like they keep hardware in. If you can find one with big enough compartments, you can probably carry a nice variety of blends.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
For two weeks a pouch, or even ziptop baggies would be OK. IMHO, bring a selection. The few times I've traveled and tried bringing only one blend, a blend that I liked a lot, I tired of it quickly. So, bring a small amount of a few blends. Pipes . . . bring two so that they can dry out a bit between smokes. If you don't get a few days between smokes, no harm done.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I guess it would depend on what type of tobacco your smoking. Aromatics will definitely last two weeks in a pouch and some even longer. I smoke primarily burley or burley/Virginia and they last two weeks or longer in a pouch.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
For short term storage that is easy to pack in your luggage I would go with Ziploc bags in the "snack" size. I'd go with name brand instead of no-name brands for the better Ziploc seal. Each one should hold a couple ounces and easily keep it smokeable for the length of time you mentioned. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.