PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have this pipe that I really want to love. Its a no name, but attractive. Its about 5" from front of bowl to tip of stem. It has a 1" bowl on it and I can pack a lot of baccy in it. I had put it away because it kept burning me. I decided today that I was going to make it work so I packed it up with a cool smoking English and started smoking. I was taking the lightest puffs, sipping sooooo slowly and it still burnt my tongue. I hate to have a pipe that I can't use, but I'm sad to say that I am retiring this pipe. Does anyone else have a pipe they just can't use?

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I loaded it the way I load all my bowls. The 3 pinch method. It was springy yet firm. I haven't cleaned it more than any other bowl and It had been about a week. My tongue hurts so bad that I am done smoking for the night Dave. It happens every time i use it. The thing is that I don't even know I'm getting burnt till it's too late.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I can relate - I am unable to smoke right now due to tongue bite, but I know what burnt tongue is like too.
But I am getting much better at puffing very slowly. You might be able to use that pipe, but the draw on it has to be so minimal, to the point where you're not even sure you're drawing smoke in and only when you exhale that you can be sure you actually did.
I'm discovering that pipe smoking is almost a mystical art - there's a lot of nuance and finesse that goes with proper draw and packing (if you get both exactly right - it's kismet).
So I would say not to give up on the pipe just yet, but while you're practicing, have another pipe to switch off while the other cools down.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I too suggest that you not give up on that pipe.

As numbersix said pipe smoking can be akin to a mystical art is not far off the mark.

Is this an estate pipe?

If yes, was it well used?

Should yes be the answers to both questions I would hang on to it and find the magical combination of toby and pack method and get many years of service from this fine tool.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
post a pic of it. i just picked up a hackert at the pipe show that is super short with a humungous bowl, and i love it. have you tried other tobaccos in it?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Try giving it a serious cleaning and let it sit for days. Then start with maybe a quarter bowl full for a couple bowls and see if that helps.
Another thing you can try is smoke different tobaccos in it. I've had bowls that absolutely hated a particular type of tobacco but smoked really good when I switched it up. This bowl hated VA's with a passion, but when I switched to English, it smoked really, really good.
Edit: Dave beat me to the suggestion.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Lets see a pic of this little devil. Shawn have you had a lot of problems in the past with tongue burn. I have noticed it hits some people harder then others.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I smoked my go to tobacco PS Balkan Supreme. Never has it burnt or bit me. My tongue went through hell for about 10 days or so after my first smoke ever but has been in good shape Photoman. Its just this pipe. I actually got it from another member so I wont be posting pix out of respect. Six, I have never drew lighter than I did today. I didn't even know i got burnt till i was half way through the bowl. The bowl is 1" but the walls are very thin. The pipe itself get so hot that its hard to hold and that's when I'm puffing really lightly. I think that there is not enough briar by volume to cool the smoke so it's like taking the smoke strait off the tobacco. Does that make any kind of sense? There is not enough wood to absorb the heat...

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have a Calabresi that would always bite me, a week or so ago I packed it with PA and it smoked like a champ. It is the only pipe I have ever bought new, so maybe I'm just finally getting it broke in but I think it had a lot to do with the tobacco.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I had a Sav Estella billard, this one of my 8 Estella had a short stem 3.5 inches and smoked somewhat hot on tongue, short story, stem tendon broke, Floyd Norwoods fixed it and made me an xtra longer stem 5.25 inches, when I got it back put longer stem in and viola smoked like a different pipe. The old cajun

Aug 14, 2012
I avoid pipes that are less than 6" unless they are bent or have a P-lip. Churchwardens smoke the coolest.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
you could always consider re-gifting it instead of retiring it (if it was gifted to you in the first place). there may be someone out there in need and who likes this style. just a thought.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's too bad Shawn, but if you really like the pipe, maybe clean thoroughly and put it aside for several weeks or months. Then try it again with the mildest tobacco you know?

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I'll Gift it. Maybe someone has a more tollerable mouth. Thats funny chit Baronn and hawk. I suppose i could make it into a hooka while we're cuttin it up:rofl: Cool story Cajun. Glad to see you back btw :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've never had much luck with nose warmer type pipes either. You might do as oldredbeard did and try some burley in it. For me they always burn cooler than VA's.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I understand about not posting a pic.
I've never tried a nosewarmer so I can't speak from experience, but I think I would like them. But then again I've never had tongue bite. I think I would try the surgical tubing idea if I were you.

Status
Not open for further replies.