PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Silly, but simple: many of us have pipes with nickel bands that seems to lose their shine a week after we get them. Is it possible to shine these nickel bands up?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use automotive "Mag & Aluminum" polish (Mothers). An silver polish will work as well. Some nickel layers are quite thin, so be careful not to remove the nickel finish.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Mothers Mag Wheel polish is VERY ABRASIVE.
I know folks that use it to turn brushed stainless steel revolvers into high shine smooth metal. You can look at Yankee Sheriff on YouTube.
Please don't use it on your pipe bands.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good point Zeke. I also have a jar Blue Magic, it is much milder and a better choice. I did polish my stainless Ruger SP101, wow, what a lot of work.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I also use NevrDull but a word of caution. Don't get any on the briar. I slipped once and it did take some of the stain off my Peterson Stirling Silver. Otherwise it is easy to use and requires no great effort.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
If the nickel does wear off, you can use a silver plating solution which will actually add a layer of silver on to the base metal. This will even turn a brass band into a silver plated one. Just rub on and wipe off. Works a treat. Can also be used as a silver polish and really lifts the finish. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271145731901

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Hey just a fun tip
If for whatever reason you have tobacco ash (it's hard to come by for us pipe and cigar smokers) and rub it on your nickel bands... presto chango. Polished. Works best with cigar ash. Believe it or not. No chemicals or substances we don't have easily on hand needed.
I seem to remember that some tribes used tobacco ash as a way to whiten their teeth. Read it in a William Gaddis book so it must be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.