PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I noticed that there is not a thread on the world's greatest detective and decided to start one. I have been obsessed with Holmes for as long as I can remember. I even wear a deerstalker on a regular basis when out and about. I am always going to be partial to Basil Rathbone's portrayal of Holmes as BR was the first person I saw doing him, but I am gaining an appreciation for Jeremy Brett. I find the last two movies with Robert Downey, Jr. to be excellent and I think he brings out Holmes' bi-polar neuroticism in a way that surpasses all others (just my opinion). I'm curious as to what is your favorite Holmes actor and movie as well as the stories from Doyle. My personal favorite is "The Hound of the Baskervilles".

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
Huge fan also. Got a hardback copy of the entire collection ages ago and the dust cover is only just hanging on to itself haha...
I like Jeremy Brett's character, but again this was the first one i saw many moons ago when living across the pond. The new movies i enjoy, but in a hollywood entertainment sort of way.
What really surprised me though, is the new series Elementary. Not true to form on any account, but if you are a fan of crime drama and can overlook the fact that they modernized the whole shebang then its a good watch. I always thought of myself as a purist and this series caught me off guard. I enjoy it thoroughly.

bikedoctor

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
Jeremy Brett will always be Sherlock to me. he was a true first class smoker and had a personal life as trying as sherlocks.

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
Got my hardback cover as printed in The Strand years ago. Pages are falling out to the point that I can't read it anymore. Plus it is so big that it doesn't travel well. I heard about the series Elementary, but after hearing reports about this modernization with Holmes no longer smoking his pipe and not getting stoned anymore, I don't think I want them to show it here. I don't mind adaptations, but they DO need to retain the main characteristics of the characters. Love Rathbone, but They made Watson look like he graduated from the University of Duh. Can't wait for the next RD,Jr. movie.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have read the complete SH books many times.. the new book House of Silk is very good.

macthenife

Lurker
Mar 24, 2011
I've enjoyed Brett as Sherlock Holmes but my favorite has always been Basil Rathbone. The new Sherlock series with Cumberbatch is excellent minus the pipe smoking. With our society today, he looks to nicotine patches for insight. I understand season 3 is currently filming. The name of the first episode will be The empty hearse. Interesting.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Holmes never wore a deerstalker hat! I love how Benedict Cumberbatch's Holmes hates that hat lol. I have to say my favorite Holmes is definitely Jeremy Brett and my least favorite would be Basil Rathbone because of how bumbling Nigel Bruce's Watson was which is absolutely nothing like the character in the stories. I do enjoy Cumberbatch's portrayl of Holmes in the new Sherlock series. I think he's a close second to Brett. Downey's portrayl is done very well too and Jude Law is my favorite Watson. Not too into the Elementary one with Lucy Liu as Jane Watson. The Doyle estate didn't approve of it so they had to change alot of things in order to not infringe on copyrights. My favorite story is probably The Blue Carbuncle which I'm hoping will be the ceterpiece for the next Guy Ritchie offering.
Another interesting thing is the show Murdoch Mysteries has had Arthur Conan Doyle pop by for three or four episodes in the series. The latest one A Study In Sherlock was really good as they were dealing with a man who believed he truly was Sherlock Holmes.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Jeremy Brett will always be Sherlock to me.

Yup... definitely top O' the modern heap...

But, his and Ronald Howard's (1940's TV) depictions were modeled after...

The first and (I might add) personally selected by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself...
:worship: William Gellette
wm2.jpg

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Also a fan of the new british series; I watch it on netflix all the time. Although I do get a sort of House M.D. vibe from. As far as film I cast my lot with Rathbone. I have to agree with LOTPR Nigel Bruce is lame, but if you can ignore the films themselves and isolate the character of Holmes; Rathbone wins hands down.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Returning to pipe smoking after a long hiatus has also sparked a rebirth of Sherlockmania in me. First I re-read all the original Conan Doyle stories, then the Nicholas Meyers, then several collections of Holmes pastiches, both good and bad, and, most recently, House of Silk, Death on a Pale Horse (both highly recommended), The Case of the Edinburgh Haunting (see my review on Amazon) and Tales from the Deed Box. And all this since January - I am on a Sherlock tear! :puffy:

phoenix

Lurker
Mar 16, 2013
I haven't seen the Sherlock series yet. We can get BBC here, but I haven't had the chance yet. I know a lot of people like it. I've got the feeling that with Elementary, they wull marry off Holmes with Watson towards the end...just a feeling.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Holmes was the inspiration for me getting into pipes. At the time it was Basil Rathbone as Holmes in the movies. I must have read all of the stories 100 times and never find them dull.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I read the books as an adult and was really fascinated by them. It seems like the good Sherlock was quite the druggie.....

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The recordings are ancient and not of the best quality.

But, a listening must for anyone who appreciates Sherlock Holmes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38HgyxMThOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfHaVFKSYGE
:puffpipe:

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I, too, have been a Holmes fan for years. In fact the best part of my sophomore English class (years ago) was the Sherlock Holmes unit. These stories can be read over and over without tiring, and now that I've gotten back into pipe smoking, I have a newfound appreciation.

I don't smoke a lot of English tobacco, and I don't keep my tobacco in a Persian slipper, but I do feel a connection when I smoke a bowl and read a Holmes story.
Rathbone's,IMHO, is by far the most iconic actor, and his dry delivery and stature seem to fit the bill for me.
I do live 20 minutes from William Gillette's home, a castle which he had built and lived in from the early 1920's. It's a magnificent residence overlooking the Connecticut River. Has many secret mirrors, trap doors, etc., and even had a narrow gauge railway that would run the grounds with a trestle over the river! By the way, it's open to the public as it is a Connecticut state park.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Those thirsting for more Sherlock-like adventures can visit the site below for free audiobooks. The site has all the familiar originals, plus the non-Doyle authored extras linked below. You can also select the worded source to read them off your PC screen, instead.
https://catalog.librivox.org/search.php?title=rivals+of+sherlock+holmes&author=&status=complete&action=Search

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I am a strict fan of the original Basil Rathbone and Nigil Bruce actors in the original series! I own the complete re-Mastered series on DVD and treature them, greatly!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I have to go with Basil Rathbone as well. I watched him on Sat. morinings on TV. Read the books as well. I have to say that he inspired me to smoke a pipe as well.

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
I also am a Sherlock Holmes fan an have several copies of Watsons works along with the works of several other writers revealing more stories. And yes I do have and smoke a calabash even tho Holmes does not in the original stories. If you watch the Rathbone series when Holmes returns from the dead Watson gives Insp. Lastrade Holme's cabash.

Status
Not open for further replies.