PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Evening all. I survived the sinking of the boat and am home now working on an old estate pipe. Had a question for the experts out there. It's a rusticated pipe with what looks like multi layers of shellac on it. Now I was able to sand all the shellac off the high spots but the shellac in the low area looks awful. Cracks all through the low areas, chipping off in some places and sticking in others. Any ideas on how to get the left over shellac off the low areas?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
If it is actual shellac, alcohol will dissolve it. It may, however, be a different shiny coating that looks like shellac but is not, like polyurethane or some such. That would take different chemicals to dissolve it, depending on what it is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
These guys know. Please do this project outdoors. Alcohol fumes might give you a headache or worse. No huffing, just puffing.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I got two nice looking French made medium priced pipes both em come with high glossy laquier finishes and I still wonder I this may have relation with the fact that both of them pipes tend to get a bit hot(have pretty thin walls and overall are light weight ones )both pipes are from reputable manufacturers

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't believe the finish has any real impact on heat transfer through the chamber walls. Density of briar and thickness (including cake) are the main factors. Agree that QC in many areas is worse than years ago, except in electronics.
Cars are interesting in that regard, as they have many many more points of failure today than 50 years ago, when there were essentially no electronics, no catalytic converters, and air-conditioning, power windows and seats, airbags, cruise controls, CD players, heated seats, fuel injection, etc. were rare if found at all.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I was thinking about cars and QC the other day, primarily about tires. I always used to carry cans of fix-a-flat and a full-sized spare for the all-to-frequent fwappa-fwappa-fwappa. Now, I seldom get a flat. Last time was 4 years ago when I hit a killer pothole at night, in the rain. My theory is that i got that flat because I wasn't smoking a pipe at the time.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Yes, acetone/nail polish remover does the trick. I never sand off a finish, it interferes with the "lines". Rinse/clean with water afterward. You don't want it to settle in. It takes some dye with it, so be forewarned.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
So just got home and was able to get some pictures of the pipe and what I assume is the Shellac.

p1300916-600x450.jpg
p1300919-600x450.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Dear Mister JpmcWjr and Woodsroad, Well yes,this is more than true,in past I have had many(4)older 65-75 U.S make sedans, LTd and Dodges, they were simplier and easier to maintain than my Current, Cadillac 79 which come with all imaginable options,the latest object what went down and need to be fixed is AC/ leaking condenser,(should I got extra money)and most probably I'm to have it shipped from your country,yet paying some % 25 extra fee to our greedy customs authorities, this how it aways goes, but hey they so nice to drive these older gas guzzlers,also I'd like to own this Ford Police Interceptor P 71 Crown Vic,but these ain't cheap here where I live,but within the U.S its another ball game especially when one is getting these at Governement vechile auctions,And no cross atlantic shipping is needed,Lol, Best Greets , Paul -FIN

Status
Not open for further replies.