Tags:  No tags yet. 

Shelf life of an open tin

(37 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by seitz55
  • Latest reply from mcitinner1
  1. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

I bought a tin of McClelland's Christmas Cheer 2016 about a year ago. I opened it and after my first bowl I put it away because of the over powering smell of ketchup and I ended up forgetting about it. I was organizing my tobacco cellar and I came across it. I am pleasantly surprised that the over powering smell of ketchup is pretty much gone. My question is, will it be safe to smoke after being open so long in the tin?

“After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Safe? Should be. Might need a wee bit of hydration.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

Thank you, I will give it a try.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. akfilm

akfilm

Login to Send PM

I just smoked an open tin from 1960. I would imagine if it's not moldy it's fine. I have several tobaccos I purposely leave for a year (and a Christmas blend is one of them)

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

warren nailed it, as he often does. Now I'd go ahead and jar (and label) the tobacco, to keep it well if not exactly fresh. As I've mentioned, I think dry tobacco does better than you'd think. It's not the way to get the optimal taste, but can last a long time. Now get it in a jar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chemically speaking, what's up with the McClelland thing?

Nate @ Moody AL
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. aquadoc

aquadoc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like the smell of the McClelland tobaccos.

"If you resolve to give up smoking, drinking and sex, you don't actually live longer; it just seems that way."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  8. seitz55

seitz55

Login to Send PM

I am smoking a bit of it now and it is an exceptional smoke and I am beyond happy on how it turned out. Thanks for the advise and I will be jarring the rest of the tobacco.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've left some out, that I had opened and forgot for over a year, kinda crispy but smoked good or better than fresh.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what's up with the McClelland thing?

When I set my own crop up to sweat out the ammonia, the vinegar is a natural by product. I imagine that either other companies don't sweat out the ammonia which are what causes bite, or cover up the natural flavors with casings and such.

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's such a signature and unique to the brand. Interesting. I love 2015. Before even trying it I bought a couple pounds. I'm glad I did.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can smell that same aroma in several other brands' versions of Virginias.

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had tobaccos left in tins and pouches for years and no harm was ever done. Stuff dried, but otherwise smelled good. The worst thing that I think can happen is for some of the essential oils and other flavorings either added or developed in the curing dry out or go away, but just a little judicious remoisturizing just enough that the tobacco is no longer brittle and has a little flexibility to it is about the best thing you can do for it.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  14. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All I usually do when I want a touch of moisture is just put my lips over the bowl and blow backwards through the pipe. Just the condensation from my breath tends to be enough to take the edge off without soaking down the tobacco and making it bitey. YMMV

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. iamn8

Nate

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cos, I've never tried that before. How do we get your condensated breath? Or will anyone's do?

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In cases where a tin will remain open, I put a piece of wax paper on top then put the lid on. It works very well for me. I find this especially helpful on 8oz tins. I'm just not a "jar it" guy. In my cellar, it keeps the tobacco moist for about a year. Obviously, each time you open it, you lose a bit of moisture. As for that McClelland thing, it doesn't transfer to the smoked tobacco. Some say its fermentation, others that it's an anti fungal treatment McClelland uses. Mike and Mary McNeil seem to say it's the former. For me, it's never been an issue.
    Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is an interesting topic of conversation. I have noticed that some tobaccos seem to keep far better than others. I have found pouches of Condor in jackets in my wardrobe that are months old and are still fresh and smokable. There are some blends that just never seen to go off like Captain Monochromatic aka Captain Black where opened pouches have been found from 2000 years ago in Egyptian pyramids and the stuff is a moist as a virgins cooter. Strangely War Horse Bar tends to dry out in the tin very quickly and if not consumed within a week of opening tends to resemble modeling balsa wood for some strange reason!

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Captain Black...the Twinkies of pipe tobacco?

Mike S.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike you hit the nail right on the head - the Twinkie of the pipe tobacco world!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

I don't like to jar so to keep the tobacco fresh after I open the tin I put a double aluminum foil under the cover and I seal the tin with electric tape. The tobacco stay fresh this way very well.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Cos, I've never tried that before. How do we get your condensated breath? Or will anyone's do?

Check Costco.

Javan
    Posted 2 years ago #
  22. obidonkenobi

obidonkenobi

Login to Send PM

Wow, so funny you should mention "old" Captain Black. About 30 years ago, I got it in my head to try pipe smoking. This was pre-Internet, and I didn't even know pipe smoking was considered a hobby. So I got myself a pipe from LL Bean and picked up a packet of Captain Black (Gold) at the local drugstore. I smoked it a couple of times over several years, and each time I got pretty severe tongue bite (that's a whole 'nother story). But I didn't stick with it, put it away in my car camping equipment box, and forgot about it. Early this year, I decided to try it again. Pulled my pipe and the same packet of now 30 year old Captain Black, stuffed the bowl, lit it up, and it tasted exactly as I remembered it, and it still gave me strong tongue bite.

Thanks to the folks on these forums, YouTube and talking with real tobacconists, I've since figured out how to avoid the tongue bite, and have enjoyed smoking up the rest of my ancient Captain Black tobacco. I understand the Captain Black brand isn't considered to be very quality tobacco, but I'm still a newbie, and could probably smoke pencil shavings with aplomb. Anyways, so funny to hear from independent sources that Captain Black "never dies," and remains consumable, just like Twinkies...

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a jar of McC's 5100 that's been around, in diminishing quantity, for two or more years. It still has a whiff of ketchup, but it still smokes great. For me, McClelland is the reigning champion of Virginia blends. Not to say there aren't many other wonderful brands, but for selection, quality, and subtlety between blends, McClelland is the champ, as Cornell & Diehl is with burley.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I set my own crop up to sweat out the ammonia, the vinegar is a natural by product. I imagine that either other companies don't sweat out the ammonia which are what causes bite, or cover up the natural flavors with casings and such.

This explains the slight vinegar both in Royal Yacht and Straight Grain Flake.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Safe? Should be. Might need a wee bit of hydration.

It's been a while, but can tobacco be rehydrated as much as you like, or will it have any bad effects? I mean, while processing the tobaccos the blenders also re- and de-hydrate it several times, depending on the blend, right?

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I once left a 100gram tin of HOTW open, but with the plastic lid in place, for a year. Smoked perfectly, no hydration needed. It had dried to the perfect smoking moisture.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had no problem re-hydrating tobacco, but I also tend to jar it so I don't need to.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. hillbillyjosh

hillbillyjosh

Login to Send PM

I like the idea of throwing open tins in Mylar bags. But I am worried about rust. I have an old can of Stanwell that has already started rusting on the outside.

Solution: I found these little Mylar bags. That when stuffed correctly, holds a tin worth of tobacco perfectly.

I recon' you could put a boveda in there to re-hydrate.

I like the comment about blowing back through the bowl to add hydration.

I will give that A try.

Hillbilly
    Posted 1 year ago #
  29. hillbillyjosh

hillbillyjosh

Login to Send PM

30. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can personally verify that those mylar bags won't keep your tobacco very well mid-long term. They fail/leak at the zipper. Mason jars remain the best option.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. hillbillyjosh

hillbillyjosh

Login to Send PM

Thanks Tom. I guess I could heat seal them. If that's the case. My problem is I'm running out of designated space for jars. You every have that problem?

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. hobie1dog

hobie1dog

Penzaholic

Login to Send PM

Its so easy to rehydrate tobacco, kind of a non-issue.

" I'm talking about the kind of sound you can feel. When it comes to great stereo you can't beat big speakers, I'm talking about big speakers with big woofers."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

As I've mentioned, I think dry tobacco does better than you'd think. It's not the way to get the optimal taste, but can last a long time.

Au contraire, very dry tobacco IS the way to get optimal taste. You don't want the tobacco dried out as in crumbly brittle dry, as that will cause an irretrievable loss of favor which rehydration does not fix. Rehydration can restore SOME flavors, but essential oils and their flavors are gone for good.

Getting the tobacco to a point where is has a low moisture content is where most blends really perform well. Exceptions are some fruity aromatics as there can be some loss of the topping flavor when extremely dry and the topping is more important than the tobacco flavors.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. hillbillyjosh

hillbillyjosh

Login to Send PM

I thought oils won't leave, just plume like on some of my old cigars.

I keep my tobacco with 65 boveda. That seems to keep everything just about right. Cigars, pipe tobacco, etc...

Am I wrong? Please advise. Not wanting to ruin anything using my Hillbilly logic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My problem is I'm running out of designated space for jars. You every have that problem?

Yeah. So I moved.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. hillbillyjosh

hillbillyjosh

Login to Send PM

Lol... the struggle is Real Tom

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"My problem is I'm running out of designated space for jars"

Nope, if/when I run out of room in the house there's a 30'x40' detached garage/shop building I can go to. It's not on the scale of Peck Manor by a far shot, but it'll work.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   taildraggin, renfield, cortezattic, ben88, sablebrush52, lightxmyfire, mumbles, dmcmtk, odobenus