New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep my pipecleaners in a vase and a little bottle of rum for dipping my pipe cleaners into at my girlfriend's kitchen sink to clean my pipes before putting them in my rack that she got for me to keep my daily rotation in while working at the shop. Her apartment is the back half of the store where my studio is. I can then clean the pipe, drop the pipecleaner and paper towel into the trash and wash my hands and get back to work quickly, and then take my pipes home at the end of the day.
Granted, she doesn't watch me clean my pipes, and usually she is too busy to care. But today, I have been just slammed with repair work, so I was just setting my pipes on the counter to take care of later. A little while ago, she stuck her head into my studio and asked me if I wanted her to clean my pipes for me. Tee hee, a little snickering and innuendo'ing and I let her know that that would be great. How considerate, especially from a woman who three or four years ago would have nagged me to no end for smoking a cigarette, if not just broken up with me for doing what killed her father. So, I was working along, thinking, man I am so lucky. Life is good. She is good. I should make her a ring or... I heard water running...
I jumped up from the bench to see a sink full of water and three of my Nording Valhallas floating in some soapy water. And, she had an apron on and a sponge in hand... with a surprised look of "What?" on her face. The pipe that I happened to be smoking dropped from my jaw, and I'm not sure which hit the floor first, my jaw or the pipe.
So now, I have three very clean pipes on the pipe rack drying, which she thought was why I should have a rack in the first place. "Is it not a drying rack?" And, a lengthy dissertation on pipe cleaning. and a bunch of "well, I didn't know" having been uttered. And, much chuckling.
I never allow my pipes to cake up much, so I don't think the pipes are ruined. They are just lemony fresh now. I'm just glad that I wasn't smoking the Beckers or the bamboo pipes earlier today, ha ha!!
Anyways, that's my pipe-tale for the day. Lessons learned, and many hugs. Be sure your significant other understands your pipe. Maybe even let her handle it a little more than usual. A wet pipe is a terrible... I mean...

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I suppose the mortise cracking is the biggest worry. I would let them dry slowly. Maybe in a humidor to help prevent the mortise from swelling. Hope they survive.
Mike S.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Damn... that's a real swift kick in the groin! If by chance she used a very scented soap just pretend as though they are ghosted by a Lakeland tobacco and move on. All in all, she meant well and at least be thankful for that small comfort. :wink:

I did have a few pipes out today that would have been totally ruined, but luckily those were just piled a the end of my bench. If a Becker strawberry had been washed, the story above would have been very different. But, those varnished Nording's probably are sealed well enough. I'm torn between quickly drying them in front of a fan or doing like Mike said and drying slowly. It would seem like letting then dry quickly would prevent the water from soaking deeper into the wood. But, that's just a guess.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I'm puzzled, Michael, why didn't she use the dishwasher? It's much more efficient, and the pipes come out so much cleaner.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Trust me, I'm a woodworker, let them air dry in their own sweet time. Set them so that the air freely circulates. I'd remove the bits. If you desire, bit of paper towel in the bowel may draw excess moisture out and speed the drying process a little. I'd put in a wad of paper towel, wipe, and leave it sit for a half hour or so before removing. Then just let them air dry. I'd fear no damage to the wood if the bowel is sound.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In light of this thread (and johnnyreb's post above) here's cosmicfolklore's new avatar:
th

Status
Not open for further replies.