PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
Have you had a bad experience with purchasing an estate pipe on eBay or from an online estate pipe retailer? Was the pipe not completely restored, clean on the outside but still dirty on the inside? I would be interested to hear about it! Who is your favorite estate pipe dealer? Do you have certain estate pipe dealers in mind for certain price ranges?

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
Only had 1 pipe from ebay that was not as discribed and the seller made it right and the maker of the hand made pipe all though retired found out and asked me to send it to him and he made a new stem.

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
herbinedave, Thanks for your response. I am not trying to air dirty laundry, but want to create a dialog on estate pipes and find out what peoples expectations are of the market. I find that on eBay many state they they have restored a pipe and that it is in ready to smoke condition but when I receive it, it is not. But there are a great handful of eBay estate pipe dealers who do an excellent job. I have heard of some folks buying a very dirty estate pipe at a show and packing it and lighting it right then and there. And for them, maybe that is "ready to smoke" condition. Just wondering about smokers expectations and how they felt about their experience with estate pipes. No matter who you buy from I hope someone's first estate pipe experience is a good one. If properly restored, inside and out, it should be. It is a great way to get a desired brand or maker for less, but I have read that some frown upon the idea of trusting the smoke-worthiness of someone else's rejection. Again..thoughts?

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Of about 50 pipes bought on ebay, I have to say only about three have been dissapointing. One severe crack epoxied, and seller said the pipe was in good condition. That seller refunded my money and told me to keep the pipe. I have a great eclectic collection of pipes from Ebay. One has to remember that most sellers dont know a pipe from a plum so it is most likely difficult to evaluate what they have. I now have tried to limit my PAD and just buy a pipe on Birthday and Xmas. (sure). I have 0 pipe shops in my area so Ebay has been a joy. I have gotten some very nice pipes at rock bottom prices. I enjoy the refurbishing and cleaning and restoring. For example just picked up a Tom Howard last night for 21$ including shipping and included is a wonderful leather pouch. Cant beat it with a stick. have to rate ebay buying a solid 9. Happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.