PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I won another auction last night for cheap! Was everyone sleeping? Can someone tell me more about these carved pipes from K&P Peterson as far as year of production, etc? Thanks.
kp-1.jpg

kp2-2.jpg

kp3-3.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Be careful with those hallmarks. Peterson used to stamp their nickel bands with faux hallmarks. I have a Shamrock with a stamped nickel band. It may be easier to get a ballpark on the timeframe it was made by looking at the "made in" stamping.

chopsie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
All I can tell ou is that if the hallmarking starts with a shamrock it is a nickel band.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
That is a work of art! Someone put some man hours of carving into that pipe.
The shamrock-fox-tower marking was used AFAIK on the Shamrock line ( Peterson "seconds" ) and the nickel bands of regular line Petes in the late 50s - early 60s ( don't quote me on this ). If the wood still has the original COM markings, it will either say "Made in Ireland", "Made in England", or "Made in the Republic of Ireland" , which will help narrow it down to a certain period.
If a Pete does not have a sterling band it is nearly impossible to date .... unless it's a St Patty's Day, or a Samhain, or a Christmas pipe etc

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Thanks guys, will update with more images. Should be arriving in the next few days. I just hope she smokes well!

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
@ Durham>> Great looking pipe Durham. I went to ebay and found it there. I'm bidding on it. Wish me luck.

Hope I win. .... taztime :)
shamrock-and-harp-kp-peterson-pipe.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I have one as well, I purchased it at a yard sale over 20 years ago along with a 1917 Dunhill Shell Group 1 size, a Peterson pre-republic in a hard case, briar bowl, 1/4 bent. hallmarked silver band and agate p-lip (I can't show photos of it since it is packed away) and the identical pipe you folks are showing all for the princely sum of $1 per each.
8400130658_0e8c168f3d_b.jpg

Reactions: thuber88

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
@Durham ,,,

Well Durham after seeing the K&P Dublin pipe that you got off of ebay. I was so impressed that I went on ebay and found the same pipe you got on ebay. My experience was very much like your's. I placed my bid for $29.95; and waited for the end of the auction. But like your auction experience , no one else bid against me. And I won the pipe. I wounder why no one bids on these pipes.

My wife got me this pipe for my birthday. The pipe came the other day. It's a great looking pipe, but a little small. I suppose I'll use it as a pocket pipe. The bowl is very small, and the walls of the pipe are thin. I think that's why the bowl gets so hot. I try to smoke it very slow, and deliberately as I can; so as to keep the bowl as cool as possible. I had asked the seller if he had cleaned up the pipe before hand, and sanitized it. And he said that he had. But when I got the pipe it was filthy inside. I worked with it, cleaning it up for about 45 minutes. Now it looks brand new. It draws great; but the first time I smoked it I only got a 20 minute smoke out of it. I think it could have been because I hadn't given it enough time to dry out. So the next morning I when outside with Pooby (my dog) to try it out again. This time I filled the bowl all the way to the top; and packed it down hard. I followed the tobacco with my tapper as it burned down. Keeping the coals close to the tobacco. Well this time I got a full 32 minutes out of my smoke.

I hope you are enjoying your new pipe as well Durham ---- taztime :)

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/8046/shamrock-and-harp-kp-peterson-pipe.jpg

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
I'll give up my pipe when those clowns pull it out of my cold dead lips. .... :nana: taztime

skeliton-pipe-smoker-icon.jpg

taztime

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2013
Texas
file:///C:/Users/jack/Pictures/dr%20grabow%20smoking%20pipes%20made%20from%20mediterranean%20briar_files/goldenduke.jpg

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Just had a lovely smoke of Nightcap in my Shamrock Pete, it has rather substantial walls so it doesn't get hot but is about a Group 2 size bowl perfect for me when I want Nightcap or Latakia Flakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.