PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Had about 8 lb of SG FVF and SJF in 250 gram boxes and a pound box of Mac Baren Latakia Flake I cellared today. What a stark contrast in packaging quality. The SG is rather loose in a zip lock, the Mac Baren has the gold foil inside of a zip lock. The Mac Baren flakes are tightly packed and perfect. I weighed them on a digital postal scale. The SG boxes were all short of 250 gr, the Mac Baren was dead on if not slightly over a pound. It's a good thing SG's product is so much better than it's packaging.

• Wow
Reactions: ofafeather

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I agree. I noticed the same packaging issues today when jarring up new FVF I got last week.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Mac Baren's is better, but still bad enough to be wary of a box sitting at the back of the shelf in a local shop. I had to somewhat rehydrate some ODF recently. My main complaint about the SG moisture levels is that you're effectively paying about $480/gallon for the excess water. Honestly though, as long as their quality remains high, their current prices seem fair to me.
One thing I like about SG's plastic bag is that you should have no illusion of it staying fresh in it. The Esoterica bags, however, give the appearance of being safe for cellaring. If only their seals were reliable....

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.