PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I hope this doesn't make everyone mad, but I did try to find this on the forum and wasn't able to come up with it right away.
I have just gotten in SG St. James Flake, SG Full Va. Flake and SG Medium VA Flake from 4Noggins (fast, well-packed, no complaints). I have never purchased those tobaccos in 250g quantities before. Before, I have purchased in tins and smoked them as I opened a tin.
They came in shrink-wrapped boxes. I am not ready to crack them open yet. Should I jar them now. Should I just leave them in the shrink-wrap in my tobacco closet? Will the tobaccos age/remain fresh in the shrink wrap.
I know the answer if I plan to age them: jar right away. I'm just wondering will the tobaccos remain good for two-three months in the shrink wrap before I do plan on smoking them.

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
I jar them also, but the tobacco is in a ziplock bag inside the box along with the shrink wrap on the outside. I often find the shrink wrap to be compromised in some way.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Rickpal: you were right about the shrink wrap being compromised. Torn a bit on all three.
Peck, I will heed the advice.
Thanks to you both.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I once had a pound of St James Flake come in so dry I had to send it back. The flakes broke apart like balsa wood and I was amazed. Every other shipment of SG bulk I had ever received was incredibly moist. I always jar up my SG bulks within a few days of receiving them.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Update: I followed the excellent advice here and jarred all the SG flakes I received this week. The St. James was really moist, as was the FVF.
I laid the jars on their sides, as I also read in this forum. I'm not a noob pipe smoker, as they say, but when it comes to cellaring, I am a neophyte.
I have been a pipe smoker for many, many years. But, joining this forum (a blessing for me), I have learned so much and have had my horizons broadened as to tobaccos, how best to preserve them, how to take care of your pipes (not something I have paid much attention to), the expected tax and price increases on pipe tobacco, and just a lot of other great information.
I want to say thanks to you all for the solid advice. I have now jarred quite a bit of tobacco, some of it old and dry as duck feathers, but rehydrated from information I found on this forum.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm definitely new to cellaring and I've never seen the "jar on the side" advice. Can I ask why one might do this/its benefits over having it sit normally?

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I also have some SG bulk coming in the mail along with some Esoterica 8oz bags. Its been a great week for TAD! I was wondering with the SG bulk That comes pretty moist, should i let it dry out a bit before jarring? also with The Esoterica bags how long would they stay good in the bags? should I jar all of that the same as the SG bulk? I figure those bags should last a bit longer.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.