PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
After a great deal of driving and trying to work my way through some terrible traffic, a couple of accident delays, and road construction, and delivering two stops, I finally pulled into a truckstop in Seymour, Indiana. There just happens to be a bar and grill called Brewskies about a block down the service road from the truckstop.
I accidentally walked in to Brewskies. Since I was there anyway I decided to have a seat at the bar. I ordered a beer, lit up a pipe, and relaxed for a bit.

During the evening a couple of ladies told me how much they liked the smell of my pipe which led to various conversations that helped pass the time.

I had a really good Brewskie burger, which is a burger topped with grilled onions, Brew City Bottle Caps (fried red and green jalapeno slices), and their "special sauce". The thing will make you sweat but tastes great!
As my back and bum hip have been killing me lately I had used my cane to walk down there. Once I got there I stashed it under the bar and out of sight. I really hate using the thing. I still view it as a sign of weakness, that's just how I am.
When I was ready to leave I put on my jacket, slung my backpack over my shoulder, and knocked the cane to the floor. I was really embarrassed when a young lady bent down and picked up the cane for me. I can't even begin to tell you how irritated that made me feel. I almost bit through the stem of my pipe.

I thanked her and made my way out of the place as quickly as I could.
I don't mind the gray in my beard nearly as much as I mind the cane. Yeah, it helps me get around when I am not feeling my best, but I despise the need for it.

digitalshave

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Had to use a cane myself for awhile about 3 years ago at age 32 when I broke my foot

very embarrassing. Hope things get better for you.
Seymour...Your about 20 miles from my house.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sounds like it was a good stop though, lol. I used a cane for a few years after an accident when I was younger, so I understand how you feel. Was even worse when all the waitresses, bargirls, clerks, etc., started alling me "Mr. Gary" before I turned 50. The gray in the beard makes my pipe look more distinguished, lol.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I do a lot of walking outside.Sometimes three miles or more.It's my way of getting exercise.I've turned my ankles way too many times in the past.These days I take a cane with me to steady myself.I only use it when I'm exercising

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sounds like you had a decent dinner aside from the cane incident. I can relate how it can hurt your pride so to speak. My Father in Law is confined to a scooter chair, and he rarely goes much of anywhere because he doesn't want anyone to see him like that.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My first cane was in my 20s due to an injury. Later my back problems caused me to get another cane. No real issues recently. My Dad walked on crutches most of his life. He always said that storing them, when not being used, was a pain.
Winton

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
One point of consolation Mason...

It ain't an every day thing.

Thanks again for the glimpse behind the curtain.

Keep'em comin'.

Be safe.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I can relate.Been using a cane for a while now.It is what it is.Must have both hips replaced and back surgery,just putin it off till i got some money put back.They say I can go till either my hips break or I can't take it anymore.But i'm blessed...ain't cancer or terminal!

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Mason, I walk with a cane part time as well (back pain) and have some gray in the beard. As long as You can still get in that W S that Your driving and get it to go down the road it's all good. Be safe. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.