PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

metarzan

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2012
Went looking for a tin of Magnum Opus. Just my luck, on backorder, again. Just like the few times before I went looking for Magnum O, I end up with about 7 other blends! Sometimes I wonder if this is an intentional, well calculated marketing maneuver? Went ahead and ordered the Magnum O this time, so it will be a surprises when it arrives, along with a couple other surprises I have forgot about months ago... This batch of tobaccos are all new to me. Might have tried a sample of Cairo but brain is a little smokey these days. Felt the need to add a little flavoring to the cellar with this batch. Never tried a Lakeland and with all the Condor talk lately I chose Ennerdale. Maybe I will dedicate the new-to-me Sav Churchwarden that is on it's way to this blend?
20140605_151122_resized_zps6d0e59a0.jpg

Ennerdale: Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to "carry the flavour" in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavours) A background flavour of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavours, vanilla, and the special 'English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.
The Larsen Perfect Mixture just sounds too good to not try and the reviews really sold me.
Consists of carefully selected Virginia tobaccos from the best tobacco fields on three continents. The balanced Virginia tobaccos are blended with fermented Black Cavendish and premium Burly from the USA, Malawi and Mexico.
Love pecans and Mellow Mack sounds like if would go great with pancakes.
The mildest and smoothed of pipe tobaccos. This is a mild, smooth, rich pipe tobacco that improves throughout the smoke, owing to the slow release of the flavors inherent in the top quality leaf used in the blend. The aroma tends toward wild honey and, perhaps, pecan.
The two SPS blends have been getting so much talk around here I just made an impulse purchase. Classic Samsun and Cairo are to tide me over until the Magnum O arrives. A few tins of Balkan Sobranie and Solani 633 also on the way. Will post pics when it arrives but I got 2nd place in the Caption Contest this month so I am also waiting on a Savinelli Trevi Rusticated to arrive any day now! If my wife only intercepts one or two of these "last order ever" packages I will be in the clear! Where to begin?

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Ennerdale is one of those love/hate blends. I personally love the stuff. Have an open mind when you try it. The aromatic essences they use are nothing like anything you've tasted before and before you write them off as being floral and soapy, give it a chance. My first taste of Lakeland stuff wasn't an immediate love but after a few bowls I really started to appreciate it. Just like any other flake, dry it a bit, rub it out to the consistency that works for you, and smoke it slowly and enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What, no codger blends? No bulk? You're living large. You have a year ahead of you.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Haha! Unless you consider multiple tins or 8oz bags as bulk, the only bulk I buy is Nosferatu. I keep thinking that by expanding my horizons I can eventually narrow down to maybe a dozen pipes and a dozen blends. Right now I am thinking Plum Pudding in a Stanwell 126. The tin description has me wondering what that little something extra is?
It is, in their own words, a rich blend of Latakia, Orientals, Perique, and a "little something extra".
Excited about the soapy flowers too.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
The "little extra" in the SPC Plum Pudding is crack. On my favorite tobaccos list, one and two are pretty firm, three and four move back and forth. Plum Pudding is firmly in place at #5. Enjoy!
-Jason

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Tried the PLum Pudding last evening. Very nice! As all of you English loving guys know, the tin note is superb, made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I wanted to save the big chunks so I dumped the tin and loaded a bowl of the finer tobacco. That resulted in a slightly firmer bowl than I would have preferred but took a flame easily and burned well. Next time I plan to gravity load smaller chunks first and maybe add a little dust on top to get it going. It did not take long for the flavors to develop and maybe 10% down I could tell I was smoking a smooth, smokey English. As the bowl developed, smooth remained and spicy came to the party. Started to get a hint of that lovely burn, like after a spicy meal, aware that the perique was doing it's job. Maybe the perique and the cavendish slightly cancel each other out, but it is more likely that they somehow just compliment each other perfectly. My pallet was confused but digging the sensation and the lat was always there. Creamiest of creamy smoke. Yum. Never did taste plum in search of that something extra, and not too sure what crack tastes like, but I can see myself loading up on a little bulk with my next P&C order.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm a recent convert to Ennerdale. Overall, I think the Lakeland-style blends tend toward too much nicotine strength for me; I'm a lightweight there. But Ennerdale was a very comfortable smoke in that regard, and I really enjoyed the scenting and the rich VA/Burley flavor.
One nice side-effect of smoking Ennerdale: Every time you pass a woman "of a certain age," you'll be reminded of your last enjoyable pipe! :)
Bob

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
You mentioned you were looking for some Magnum Opus specifically a tin. Is there a reason why you just didn't order some bulk as the tins are on backorder?
I dont understand why anyone wouldn't buy bulk anytime you can when looking for smoking rotation tobacco. Fiscally it makes more sense. Mason jar it up at home and you're good to go. I can see maybe buying the larger tins if you're looking to cellar for a longer time.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
@defargin I didn't even think to check the bulk any of the three times I tried to get a tin! I just never look at bulks. After all, no good tobacco is available in bulk right? :? Thanks for the nudge.
@rmbittner I have 8 large plastic tubs of classic Avon products in my garage that I am trying to turn over. I think I know exactly the scent you are referring to!

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
Nice haul metarzan. Ever since I started smoking a pipe, I've heard good things about the Seattle Pipe Club blends, but I've never had a chance to try them. Happy puffing!

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Smoked a load of Ennerdale last night. The tin note is not off-putting in the least, no soapy smell. I did get the taste of soap when drawing on the unlit bowl and decided to fire it up. Wife remarked that she loved the smell but I really could not smell anything as my taste buds must have been on overload. I guess I need to smoke a few more bowls because I can't really describe the flavor. It did not taste bad, I did not want to dump it and it burned well to the bottom where the flavor I can't describe became more intense. I can't say that I love Ennerdale but I certainly was not offended by the flavor. Need to smoke a bit more but I really can't see many occasions where I would reach for it over something else more enjoyable. It was a strange smoke and I can still taste it in my mouth the next day after brushing teeth and eating. Definitely a different experience. Time to go read some reviews to try and make sense of it all... :?

Status
Not open for further replies.