PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Bought hundreds of pipes, never sold one. Most bought from my fab 4 of eBay, you know em. Trying to narrow the collection a little, plan on selling 30 or so. Most are well known pipes ranging from Petersons to Dunhill to Sixten Ivarsson and everything in between.
Is there a best way to sell each type of pipe ranging from the low end to mid end to high end? With the goal of net money received.
I have lots of conflicting thoughts when analyzing what to do. For example, say a Sixten Ivarsson pipe ... on one hand I know what I paid for it, which I think was reasonable. I can personally try to sell it at a fixed price, an auction , or hire one of the studs on eBay to auction it, seen some crazy auctions over the last two years.
Which outcome is best?

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Why complicate it? Decide what you want for a given pipe, put it on ebay with a 'buy it now' and 'make an offer'.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I sold 12 of my older pipes that I made on EBay over the past couple of months. On average, they sold for about 40% of the price a well known retailer received for a couple of my pipes that he bought in Chicago and resold. Our strategies were identical- no reserve pricing starting at $.99. I used a very nice layout with good pictures. (My pictures were actually slightly better)
There was one difference- he had over 10,000 positive reviews- I had 10. I would suggest you contact Michael Gluckler(Briar Blues) or Steve Fallon (Pipestud)- you’ll make more money with them photographing and auctioning than you will make yourself...

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Zach : I saw your comment from a different post of yours highlighting your different results when using Chance. got me thinking.
Additionally, I do value my time and have sold other stuff on eBay (Roman coins) and familiar with bad bidders.

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
img_1186-600x450.jpg

top down left right --briarworks Todd Johnson unsmoked, Tim Thorpe , Peterson Sherlock Holmes, Dunhill Redbark Gold Band, Buckeye unsmoked 2016, Sixten Ivarsson

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Hi Alan
E-Bay for a less than known seller = lower end sale prices. Steve ( pipestud ) does very well. He is well known, has an excellent reputation ( which I find really hard to believe - tongue planted firmly in cheek ), and gets top dollar. Fast and efficient. Rodrigo Garza ( treasurepipes ) also does very well. If Steve, Rodrigo and I each listed similar pipes on E-Bay, Steve and Rodrigo would ( in the end ) get a better end price, than I would. They have the reputations, the track record, and are well known, on E-Bay.
Of the pipes in the photo you've shown, on the Dunhill and Sixten you'd be far better off with a pro, like Steve or Rodrigo.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
Wonderful, classy and professional response Mr. Glukler. I have bought from you on ebay and hope your presence there increases. You all are great people to deal with.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Mike I applaud your honesty an since of good business. Not to many people these days would put another seller before themselves. Great job!!
Alan beautiful pipes! Who's the bamboo By.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Of the pipes in the photo you've shown, on the Dunhill and Sixten you'd be far better off with a pro, like Steve or Rodrigo.
Michael, you're killing me- i just offered to take that dogged out, grungy Dunhill off his hands so i could make a proper reproduction...and now

He'll probably think it's worth $50 or so....:)
In all seriousness- i would love to get my hands on a squashed Bulldog for a few days- love that design!

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Mikethompson: honestly no, it's a lot of pipes , lot of pictures, etc. and the upload process is a bit of a hassle when you consider 8 pictures a pipe or so.
I thought maybe personally auction off higher valued well named pipes myself, and Send the majority of the pipes to one or more of the ebay guys mentioned. I am starting to be convinced of the merits of outsourcing the sales to guys with big pipe collector followings, I do believe they will get better prices on average than I will achieve, but a 30% fee keeps me scratching my balls, I mean head

alan73

Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Net it's like 15%, I think eBay charges me 10% , plus I think PayPal takes a cut. then there is the time. not to mention pipe auctions can be inefficient both ways, way too low a price for unproven sellers and too high a price sometimes for the well known sellers . I was reading a British Pipes thread today before posting this thread, some crazy stuff happens sometimes in hot auctions .

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
If not in a hurry - one by one here on the forum.

If in a hurry and you dont want to deal with details - dump it to Steve and the others :)
Or split between these options :)

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Mike is being too generous (but thanks!)... BriarBlues is one of the most respected names in the business. He'd get you a return on your sales as good (or better) than anyone.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Thanks for the kind words all, but I only said what I know to be true and correct.
As far as the net end results ...... 15% is on the high side. I calculate my net is closer to 10%, when taking into account, E-Bay fees, Pay Pal fees, cost of box, labels, cost of website, time for cleaning, photographing, and travel to shipper etc.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

Status
Not open for further replies.