PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
Hello all,

I am very new when it comes to smoking pipes though I have been smoking cigars every so often for about 2 years. I bought my first pipe yesterday and I absolutely LOVE the aroma, flavor and atmosphere of smoking a pipe. The only problem that I have is that I smoke way to hot, burning my tongue. The pipe never gets to hot to hold. Right now I have a simple and cheap egg shaped corncob.
Ok so onto my question. I was looking at a churchwarden style pipe because they are said to smoke cool and, for fast puffers like me, are said to not burn the tongue. Only problem I see with churchwardens is there are very few reviews on them and the reviews that I have read are mixed. Are there any recommended churchwardens out there? especially in 100$ and under range and preferably somewhat artistic in that I could keep them on a tabletop as an artistic piece as well. Do churchwardens smoke as well as the more prevalent styles?
Also are there other style pipes, except for the gourd Calabash pipes, that smoke cooler than or as cool as churchwardens?
Thanks for the help
Buck

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Welcome to the forum Buck, and especially welcome to the world of Pipe Smoking !

Most people will agree a Calabash smokes cooler than a lot of other pipes. Meerschaums in general are usually seen as cooler smoking pipes with less tongue bite.

Most people think churchwardens smoke cooler too, I've never gotten into them so I cant say firsthand.

A lot of it has to do with an individual pipe, and your own smoking style. There are certain blends that seem to bite worse for me in certain pipes, and smoke smoother in others.

It really comes down to finding what you like.

If a Churchwarden appeals to you, and makes you want to pick it up and smoke it, you will naturally enjoy the smoke better from that pipe.

My advice is find any pipe in your budget that yells out "Smoke Me" when you see it.

hanymamdouh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2012
Egypt
Hi Bick
congratulatons for your new pipe. Here I list a short advices for you to avoid hot smoke and tongue bites
1. smoke slowly with long and deep draws, and allow for a time gap between draws, this will minimize over heating of the pipe.
2. try to smoke mild tobacco, a little bit dry and not to moist. Allow tobacco to dry for 30 mins before packing it in the pipe.
3. select low aromatic tobacco, sugrs tends to rise burning heat. You may try Davidoff's Blue Mixture or Dunhill My Mixture 965
4. Corn Cob pipes tends to be hotter than briers, I prefer to buy briar one
Also wait for other experts advices, forum has many pipe experts with very respective advices.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
I have a couple Mr. Brog church wardens as do a few others. They are exelent smokers and low cost usually around 30 bucks and that includes ask around here about the quality of these pipes and how well they smoke

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Since Stanwell's HCA series is a bit over budget (they're $150 I think) I would recommend a Peterson. They're about $100 and mine smokes great (I have a rusticated red dublin, which is all Smokingpipes.com seem to have in stock, but you can find other colours and smooths in other stores, if the shapes strikes your fancy).
I can't attest to how much cooler it really smokes compared to short-stemmed pipes (only smoked English blends and a few aromatics in it, which I rarely have trouble with) but it's a really great pipe to smoke. I often notice that the bowl of it gets quite hot though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it shows the briar is conducting heat away from the chamber well. It can be held by the stem just like you would a clay churchwarden so it's not really an issue for me.
The only problem I had with it was that it was dip-stained and tasted truly awful for the first 20 or so smokes. I know someone has told me they've supposedly stopped dip-staining them, but who knows. Once that passed it quickly became one of my better smokers in all-around pleasantness (you know, that intangible quality that makes a pipe good ;)).
I suppose Savinelli, the last of the big three (Peterson, Stanwell and Savinelli if you ask me), have got churchwardens as well, but I don't really know much about their offerings. Then there are always a lot of smaller makers of course, but I think it'll be hard to find a nice one considering churchwardens aren't the most common form of pipes.
Other than that there are always clay pipes, which are comparatively cheap ($20 or so) and at least mine smokes quite cool (8" 'Hello Beastie' from Heather at Dawnmist, I recommend her pipes if you want clay). They usually have small bowls though, unless Goedewaagen have some with bigger bowls.
Both Calabashes and Meerschaums are well over your budget unfortunately. You might be able to get an estate within the budget, but I wouldn't count on it. Especially if you still want it to be a churchwarden (in the case of a meer).
Then there's always the option of buying a cheaper pipe and sending it off to a good guy to make a new churchwarden stem for it. Someone else will have to tell you how much something like that would cost though, I've never done it but I know some of the guys around here have.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
A churchwarden will insure that you have a cooler smoke, that's for certain.
But as has been mentioned already, how you smoke and what you smoke will effect the heat. Slow down your draws, and experiment with different tobaccos. Potent tasting tobaccos will hit your tongue with more ferocity than the mild ones.
But it sounds like you've discovered the better way to smoke tobacco, it took me a number of years to learn to appreciate it, and you're on the right track, I'd say. :puffy:

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Oh, and I suppose it's worth mentioning why I like bent pipes. I prefer them because I like to be able to see INTO the chamber while puffing. A straight stem doesn't allow for that, really.
I also prefer briar pipes with a good half inch or more of briar on the chamber walls, so as to insulate the heat. Thusly I like freehand shapes, and bent bulldogs and rhodesians.
Here's an excellent pipe shape chart.
dXTN5.gif

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
It would be helpful to know what tobacco(s) you are smoking. The discomfort you are feeling may be due to the heat

of the smoke stream, but the alkalinity of the tobacco you are smoking can cause tongue bite -- different than

tongue burn, but just as unpleasant. hanymamdouh, above, summarized the solutions pretty succinctly.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My recollection on churchwardens is that the long stem is compensation for the small bowl, which tend to become very hot because of the small amount of briar used. Getting a cooler smoke has more to do with the types of tobacco and smoking style employed. I find that blends with a touch of perique seem to smoke cooler than straight Virginia, or heavily cased aromatics. More sugar means more heat! Tinderbox Sherlock's Choice, Sutliff No.5 Blend, Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just for Him, when smoked slowly, are very cool smokes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't think a churchwarden or a calabash will make much of a difference to you right now. You're still learning how to properly smoke a pipe, so until you master the basics I doubt you'd notice the difference.
As previously mentioned, slow down. Smoke good quality tobacco (avoid drug store blends). Do your research and don't be afraid to ask.

buck

Lurker
Apr 8, 2012
Wow! what a great community! I did not expect so many responses when I woke up this morning.
Cortezattic, I don't know the origin of the tobacco I was smoking, but I got it from the local Tinderbox and one is labeled as Rum Runner and the other as Cafe Supreme.
Tankyou all for your help, I think I am going to go with a Peterson churchwarden or a Savinelli. For some reason when I look at a churchwarden it jumps out and says "Smoke me" (Lonestar) and I can picture myself next to a stream smoking a churchwarden and a pole in the water.
Cheers!

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi Buck and welcome to the forum.
As mentioned smoke slow. There is nothing wrong with having the pipe go out and relighting. You will develop your own smoking style as you go. It just takes time. Took me years I always got bite when I first started.
If you do like to puff more aggresively as I do sometimes you may want to consider a Peterson with the P-lip bit. The p-lip directs the flow of smoke up towards the roof of the mouth instead of straight back at the tongue. There are lots Petersons well under $100.
Most importantly relax and have fun.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So it sounds like you want a churchwarden. This reminds me of another recent thread wherein a rookie expressed an interest in a "wizard" pipe (basically a churchwarden with a wood stem). No matter how many dissenting opinions were raised, the guy got his wizard pipe.
So if you want a churchwarden, get one. It may not be the easiest thing to smoke (ESPECIALLY while fishing) but it'll give you the look you want.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like my short stem pipes while fishing. I can clench them when I need both hands and they fit in my pocket also. my favorite is a Stanwell feather weight.
As for the hot smoke. Try loading a pipefull at bed time, go to sleep. Smoke it the next day.smoke it slower and if you have to relight, that's ok. If you can taste more flavor and get no bite. Your tobacco was to wet and you were just smoking to fast.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Savinelli churchwarden is what I have, great smoker and I can easily run a pipe cleaner through it. (Rusticated )

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Welcome aboard, Buck! I don't own a churchwarden, so I can't say much about them. I see from the blends you said you're smoking that are a little heavy on the casing. Most Tinder Box blends are renamed Lane tobacco, so you might want to try Wilshire which in my opinion less heavily cased, and is the same thing as Lane 1Q which is cool and mild smoking.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Cool! Go for a churchwarden, if that is what you want. I have two Peterson churchwardens and a Brebbia Lectura, and they are fine for a relaxing evening with a cool beer. Just so you know, that long stem gets in the way of just about everything you may attempt to do while smoking it! I expecially like Frog Morton on the Bayou in my Pete Dublin churchwarden. Enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I agree with Bigvan, you'll struggle with tongue bite for a while, until you learn how to pack and tamp your pipes and tobacco. I also recommend matches for lighting as they are easier to control the heat level than with a butane or fluid lighter. New smokers tend to not pack correctly, which requires many relights, more heat, more tongue bite. You'll get the hang of it, just be patient and smoke slowly.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I am very new when it comes to smoking pipes... The only problem that I have is that I smoke way to hot, burning my tongue.

Hello Buck. Welcome to the forum.
Churchwardens are nice pipes. They are fun to smoke and a good quality one can smoke well. They have a couple of disadvantages. They are a little harder to clean than shorter pipes. And they are much more difficult to carry around.
But please be warned. If you are expecting a longer pipe to compensate for poor smoking technique, you will most likely be disappointed. If you smoke too hot you can easily burn yourself with any size pipe. Almost all of us have to go through a learning process to smoke well and enjoy our pipes and tobacco.
I would recommend that you get some good tobacco, (try several varieties - aromatics, Va/Pers, English blends and burley blends). Also get any good quality pipe and learn to pack it, keep it clean and learn to smoke slowly.
A good place to start might be Bob Tate's article: Pipe Smoking Tips.

If you learn to smoke slowly, any pipe can give a cool smoke and your tobacco will taste better.
Good luck to you. I hope you stick with us and let us know how you are getting along.

Status
Not open for further replies.