PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
G'd Evening,
I wanted to solicit some opinions on the Fribourg & Treyer blends. In my TAD order for October I grabbed two tins each of the Cut Virginia Plug and the Special Brown Flake that I have yet to try, but with November right around the corner I was thinking of grabbing a few more blends for the cellar.
So what are some good and bad experiences folks have had. Here's the lineup:
1 34th Mixture

2 Blackjack

3 Cut Blended Plug

4 Cut Virginia Plug

5 Evans Blend

6 Golden Mixture

7 Special Brown Flake

8 Vanners Mixture

9 Vintage

10 Waterloo No.2 Mixture

11 Wingate Mixture

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I have found all the cut plugs/flakes to be very similar, and very high quality. The Cut Blended Plug probably gets the nod from me, as I find it the most unusual and interesting.
Golden Mixture is a permanent fixture of my rotation. Not all high citrus notes like so many golden Vas, this stuff is mild yet VERY flavorful-- leathery, woody, delicious.
Blackjack is a perfectly fine red Va but a little on the boring side to my palate. Many love it though, and it's worth a try.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Not all high citrus notes like so many golden Vas

Yes the Golden Mixture is a nutty mild little ribbon cut virginia. I smoke this from time to time. It won't knock your pants off but is nice to drink coffee and read a book with.
Special Brown Flake is one of my favorites, it is a nice hearty flake.
The Vanners Mixture has a bit of unsweetened cavendish. It is too mild for me, but a quality smoke.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
The only Fribourg & Treyer blends I've tried so far are Cut Blended Plug, Special Brown Flake, and Golden Mixture. I thought those three were so good that I subsequently picked up Blackjack, Cut Virginia Plug, Evans Blend, Vanners Mixture, & Vintage & those blends are currently aging in my humble cellar.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll add a tin or two of the Golden and Vintage to next month's TAD.
Has anyone ever had a problem with these F&T square tins losing their vacuum seal? If I like the Cut Virginia Plug and the Special Brown I might start stocking up.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I cellar CVP, Vintage and Special Brown Flake. I have been smoking CVP since 2001 and it ages incredibly well. It is one of my go to morning flakes. The Vintage has a darker flavor and also very tasty. The Special Brown has a rum topping that makes it different than the other two I cellar and I enjoy it. All three are top quality VA flakes and very consistent.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
"Thanks for all the feedback. I think I'll add a tin or two of the Golden and Vintage to next month's TAD.
Has anyone ever had a problem with these F&T square tins losing their vacuum seal? If I like the Cut Virginia Plug and the Special Brown I might start stocking up."
My last tin of Cut Blended Plug was 4 years old when I opened it & it was perfect. While the rectangular/square tins may not hold their seal as well as round ones, I put my rectangular tins in a freezer Ziploc and & in a very large Tupperware-type container. I haven't had a problem yet.
Hope you enjoy those fine Fribourg & Treyer blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.