PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Somewhere in the dark abyss
Hello everyone my reason for this topic is to seek out some opinions for new tobacco flavors and blends. I am going on 6 months now of pipe smoking I own 3 briars, one sms meerschaum, and hard enough to admit 2 corncobs. I have tried many different aromatics ranging from vanilla to even Sutliff Blend 79. I haven't really smoked many English blends although I have tried a aromatic English and a Light English blend. So basically I am looking to know what everyone's favorite blend is or what they recommend. I know everyone has their own opinions and to me I am always looking to try new blends and flavors. I enjoy new tobacco like some people probably enjoy a new wine. Thanks to everyone in the community and have a great weekend.

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
I almost forgot to add I do go to a local tobacconist in my area but they haven't gotten any new blends in so I just recently put a order in at pipesandcigar.com got some really good blends there for a decent price.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
For a very representative take on the English genre, I'd recommend GL Pease Westminster (one of my all-time favorites).
For a good introduction to Virginia, I like Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.
If you're looking for a ribbon-cut Virginia, I've enjoyed Cornell and Diehl Yorktown for some time now, though a new VA smoker may have a very hard time getting much flavor out of it.
A fun, kinda funky (or really gross, depending on who you ask) quasi-aromatic is Dunhill Royal Yacht, but get it while you can. Most places still have some in stock, but I guess it isn't being produced any more.

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
I will have to inquire about some of those and thanks for sharing. I haven't tried much VA yet. I pretty much want to start ordering online since like I said my local tobacconist doesn't have very much to offer and no new additions to their inventory in 6 months!

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Here are some of the stuff I love and these blends below and these are pretty standard recommendations based on personal use and on tobacco reviews.
English/Balkan - GLP Westminster

Virginia/Burley - MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired

Virginia/Perique - Escudo navy deluxe
I do not enjoy straight virginias or aromatics so will just leave the ones that are in the rotation

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
A good place to start is to grab some blends with a lot of flavor. Some of the straight virginias are very subtle and it takes time to learn to appreciate them.

HH Old Dark Fired is good, Peterson's Irish Flake and Peterson's Perfect Plug are very flavorful blends. They are also high in nicotine.

I will also recommend latakia blends. My first true love was Dunhill Nightcap. That one has become hard to find, but I'm sure some of the americans can point to something similar that's available. Latakia is very flavorful, to the extent that many smokers get turned off by it after a while, but it's a good entry to pipe tobaccos.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I will agree with workman. I cut my teeth on Nightcap and it is still a very nice blend for me. But since it has been discontinued I don't really recommend it, but I do recommend a nice latakia blend in its place.
I think smokingpipes.com has a good online tool that can point you in the direction of a new blend based on what you like now, and what you are looking for in a new blend.
Happy hunting!

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Thanks those all sound pretty decent. I have heard a lot of good about Dunhill Nightcap, haven't come across any but have been wanting to try it. The thing I worry is finding something I really enjoy only to find out I can no longer purchase it. Once I find a few I really enjoy I often buy a few ounces at a time and store them bulk of it in Mason jars. Haven't had issues with any being stored as of yet. Anyone else try this method? Or does anyone have any other ways of storing bulk?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Consider some of the well regarded burleys.
I'm burning up some MacBaren HH Burley Flake right now. It's maybe my 10th time smoking it and I'm regularly impressed with the flavor of it.
If you like more complex blends, try the Acadian Perique.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the MacBaren HH line.
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Morning, Tim! The guys've got some really good advice there. I can't think of anything they said I'd argue with. One thing, though, vis-a-vis Royal Yacht: If you want to start a free-for-all, just express a strong opinion about it, either way. Some of the folks here ADORE it & others HATE it With A Burning Passion! }}:)
Personally I like just about anything -- lat-bombs, aros, curly cut, some flakes. I'm not a mega fan of over-cased aromatics. Current faves are Black Frigate, Belmont Station, Blockade Runner (Cornell & Diehl blends, currently easily available) Lane's BCA or Sutliff's 245 ZBC (aromatics & very similar), any of the 3 Nuns. The new Yellow & Green are good, but the best of the best would be the "original" -- *IF* you can find it! Hasn't been made for decades, but I'm sure there are some cellar people out there who have some to put on fleaBay occasionally.
Bill

vikingtim82

Lurker
Jul 4, 2018
Hello Bill, I will have to try some of the blends you listed. I have heard Black Frigate is pretty good so I will have to get some. I have tried many blends so far for being new to pipe smoking but still looking for that everyday blend that you just can't put down! I haven't tried many English blends slowly getting into those. I am going to be purchasing some new blends Friday so I will keep everyone posted on the ones I order and which ones I can't stop smoking!

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
If you're wanting discontinued Dunhill blends there's a few that remind me of them
965 - Peterson's Old Dublin is very close

Nightcap - Ashton's Artisan's blend is pretty close
If you end up liking the frigate explore some Navy blends

techie

Jul 20, 2018
One thing I did as a beginner (just started 2 months ago) was to purchase 1 ounce samples of varying types of tobacco. Thus far one of my favorite English blends is Boswell Northwoods, which is included in their Boswell English Sampler. It includes six 1oz samples of his English blends.
I also really like Peter Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I love English tobaccos. My favorite tobacco in Dunhill MM965.
That stated, it's discontinued. My next it C&D Star of the East.
Awesome stuff:
GLP Westminster

Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

Mac Baren HH Balkan Blend

PS Proper English

PS English Oriental Supreme

Ashton Artisan's Blend

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seeking New Blends could be the name of this forum. Welcome aboard, viking'. The field of English blends is vast, but I'll throw two out there. For a really full flavored blend that comes in bulk, you might try C&D Stratfordshire. For a milder but extremely refined English that includes some burley, I recommend Nat Sherman 536, which comes in a tin (or in bulk if ordered from the Nat Sherman shop in NYC).

curl

Apr 29, 2014
I like Amphora Original and Amphora Virginia.

They won't break the bank either.
Rich Dark Honeydew and Bob's Chocolate Flake are light introductions to Lakeland tobacco and can be bought in bulk; they taste good and leave a nice aftertaste.
If you think you're going to continue smoking a pipe for a few years, then start buying Va and VaPer blends - not to smoke now but a couple years from now. Cause in a couple years you'll wish you had some aged Virginias to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.